Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What advantage does the tech package offer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what are all the various advantages of the tech package?

Onboard maps and navigation for North America with free updates for 7 years

Daytime LED running lights

LED cornering lights

Automatic keyless entry

Lighted door handles

Electrochromatic mirrors

Power folding, heated side mirrors

Power lifgate

GPS enabled Homelink

Memory seats, mirrors and drive profile

:)

Just wondering - has the navigation map data ever been updated yet? Do we know for certain?

I can't say for certain if/when they were updated but there was a highway interchange that was opened a few months back. Initially the nav was confused about where I was and what I was doing but now it routes me properly through the interchange.

My .02

As for the tech package, I opted for it primarily for the nav. Having the maps/traffic data/cell service has been a great thing. I live in one of the worst areas for traffic congestion (Northern Virginia/DC Metro) and being able to check the traffic via the maps is awesome. Not to mention that I use it atleast twice a day.

I can't say for certain if/when they were updated but there was a highway interchange that was opened a few months back. Initially the nav was confused about where I was and what I was doing but now it routes me properly through the interchange.

My .02

As for the tech package, I opted for it primarily for the nav. Having the maps/traffic data/cell service has been a great thing. I live in one of the worst areas for traffic congestion (Northern Virginia/DC Metro) and being able to check the traffic via the maps is awesome. Not to mention that I use it atleast twice a day.

base car comes with tracking and location maps and traffic. $3750 gets u turn-by-turn voice activated route nav.

My .02

Even without the tech-package, you still have maps and traffic with GPS plotting of your current position. What you don't have is the turn-by-turn directions and the ability to get directions to things. You essentially have google-maps with your current location plotted on the screen.

Just wondering - has the navigation map data ever been updated yet? Do we know for certain?
A partial answer to your question:
To my knowledge there has been no formally announced "navigation map data update" in any version of the firmware since I took delivery in November 2012.

- - - Updated - - -

Even without the tech-package, you still have maps and traffic with GPS plotting of your current position. What you don't have is the turn-by-turn directions and the ability to get directions to things. You essentially have google-maps with your current location plotted on the screen.
Note that when you go out of 3G coverage areas it's a bit more complicated.

Just having the Nav system on the dash, where its easily visible, is enough to justify the tech package. The main google map is likely to be at the wrong zoom level anyway. And if you're out of 3G range (many places in Kansas), the Nav system still operates.

Just having the Nav system on the dash, where its easily visible, is enough to justify the tech package. The main google map is likely to be at the wrong zoom level anyway. And if you're out of 3G range (many places in Kansas), the Nav system still operates.

The cornering lights are pretty handy too when you're coming home from bowling league at night and have to avoid Possums. Plus the woman that gives the voice commands seems to really like me. :smile:

The cornering lights are pretty handy too when you're coming home from bowling league at night and have to avoid Possums. Plus the woman that gives the voice commands seems to really like me. :smile:

Maybe you're cornering lights are different than mine, but mine are pretty much useless. I have the Nav Lady's sound off--there's too many times when I don't want to go the using the suggested route. I sure hope routing options come soon.

Maybe you're cornering lights are different than mine, but mine are pretty much useless. I have the Nav Lady's sound off--there's too many times when I don't want to go the using the suggested route. I sure hope routing options come soon.

^^^Yes. I've had to turn her off quite a few times when she gets all panicked about me taking a different (re: correct) route. Routing options are definitely needed. One of the worst in my neck of the woods is the route she gives the Rangers. It's a godawful tangle of county roads that takes forever and almost always gets them lost and is somewhat dangerous pulling a trailer. I always tell them to use my emailed directions but some of them are young and figure "she" knows better.

^^^Yes. I've had to turn her off quite a few times when she gets all panicked about me taking a different (re: correct) route. Routing options are definitely needed. One of the worst in my neck of the woods is the route she gives the Rangers. It's a godawful tangle of county roads that takes forever and almost always gets them lost and is somewhat dangerous pulling a trailer. I always tell them to use my emailed directions but some of them are young and figure "she" knows better.
For a while now, I've been convinced that all GPS/Nav systems only give you a "pretty good" route, but not necessarily the optimal one, since finding th optimal route is pretty computationally intensive.

If I had paid more attention in Computational Theory classes way back when, I might even go so far as to suggest it's NP-hard, or NP-complete. But then I've mostly forgotten what those mean...