Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Console alternatives and cupholders.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Moderator Note: This thread was started with posts carved out from Drop-In-Center-Console-now-in-the-Tesla-Model-S-online-store]

I posted this long ago in the Temportunity thread. Still think its a great, cheap solution.

Rubbermaid Bento Storage Box and Dividers - Medium

Comes in different colors and patterns. Has a cover. Works perfectly as a drink holder (and I also put my J1772 adapter in it). Medium bento + cover in the center console area. Small square bento under the vent in the back. Less than $40 total. Available lots of places.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this long ago in the Temportunity thread. Still think its a great, cheap solution.

Rubbermaid Bento Storage Box and Dividers - Medium

Comes in different colors and patterns. Has a cover. Works perfectly as a drink holder (and I also put my J1772 adapter in it). Medium bento + cover in the center console area. Small square bento under the vent in the back. Less than $40 total. Available lots of places.

I'm using one of these as well. Works great and doesn't look half bad either. I bought one large one and a smaller one, and they fit together front to back.

Can you post pics of the Bento installed? I've not seen these locally in Vancouver but would like to see how they look in the car before I expend much effort trying to track them down. Thanks!

I'd like to see a picture of the Bento installed as well. They sell them at Amazon.com, so they should be easy to get.

I've given up on the Tesla version any time soon. Even Tesla is no longer trying to guess when they will ship them.

Last edited:
i'm going to get a bento too in the meantime. saw a bunch of them at target. looks like good construction, but the i wish the height was a little taller to accommodate taller drinks. i won't be allowing any Venti starbucks in the car anytime soon!

Solution for the lack of larger cup holder in the center console

Here's my solution to the lack of the 'right' sized cupholder in the center console gutter. I velcroed it to the side.
photo 8.57.50 AM.JPG
IMG_9721.JPG
IMG_9720.JPG

Thanks Nigel,

I am thinking of using some velcro and attaching it in the rear center underneath the vents. I only keep bottled water in the car for the most part. My kids are frustrated with a lack of place to put them.

This
Here's my solution to the lack of the 'right' sized cupholder in the center console gutter. I velcroed it to the side. View attachment 52794View attachment 52795View attachment 52796
This solution cost $30 - until Tesla gets their official one out. What I like about it is that it "almost" looks OEM and much better than all the other make-shift solutions.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a GM part #19154712. Do a search and you'll find them on ebay, amazon and some other sites. Price seems to range from $16-$35.

That's about right. I think I paid a little over $30 for it. I did a lot of research to find a cup holder that would look somewhat OEM and not trash up the car. This was one of the best. in particular, it doesn't look like it was stripped out of another car. And it fits larger size drinks and places them down where they should be.

I'd like to see a picture of the Bento installed as well. They sell them at Amazon.com, so they should be easy to get.

I've given up on the Tesla version any time soon. Even Tesla is no longer trying to guess when they will ship them.
Temportunity Console - Page 4

I posted pics way back when...I ended up going with the "plain" beige ones instead of the beige with pattern on it (they only had the patterned ones at first). Thus, I left all the package labels on them when I took the pics so I could return them easily. I just wanted to see the fit. Hope those pics help. I can post new pics if requested...

Forward Console Insert

I really think there is another opportunity out there, one that allows us continued use of the open space and still gives us more storage. I call it the "Forward Console Insert."

What I am thinking of is a console that sits only under the screen/cubby, utilizing all the wasted space forward (there's a lot of space there). I envision 3 pop-out features: two drawers that could be multipurpose (for sunglasses, spare change, etc) and a thin one for cup holders as seen here. This would still not be enough space for larger items obviously (tissue boxes, etc).

The remainder of the floor from the dash on back would be available for dropping bags, purses, etc.

If I had enough time and skills, I would probably search out parts from other vehicles and modify them to fit. Alas, I don't. Once Tesla announced there console was becoming available (a very long time ago), I emailed this suggestion to the folks that make the CCI, given that I thought their current product may become obsolete. I could see them making a beautiful "forward console insert."

That's a GM part #19154712. Do a search and you'll find them on ebay, amazon and some other sites. Price seems to range from $16-$35.
Thanks. I ordered one for $26 on ebay, including shipping. I think it might work okay in the back.

The kids only drink from water bottles, I'm not too worried about minor spills, but they need some place to put them when not drinking.

Temportunity Console - Page 4

I posted pics way back when...I ended up going with the "plain" beige ones instead of the beige with pattern on it (they only had the patterned ones at first). Thus, I left all the package labels on them when I took the pics so I could return them easily. I just wanted to see the fit. Hope those pics help. I can post new pics if requested...

I just picked up their plain gray one -- noticed them on sale when out last weekend...

I just received my cupholders and velcro'd them on the rear floor. I drove around pretty hard this morning and the bottles went nowhere.
I got mine a few days ago, but have not had time to attach them. Did you just tape Velcro loops to the bottom and stick it to the floor mat, or did you attach Velcro to the floor mat and bottom of the cup holders?

Mods: maybe the GM cup holder posts can be moved out of the Drop In Center Console thread and into there own thread, especially since they are more for the backseat than the console area.

I got mine a few days ago, but have not had time to attach them. Did you just tape Velcro loops to the bottom and stick it to the floor mat, or did you attach Velcro to the floor mat and bottom of the cup holders?

Mods: maybe the GM cup holder posts can be moved out of the Drop In Center Console thread and into there own thread, especially since they are more for the backseat than the console area.

Velcro loops won't stick to the carpet, at least not the ones I have. So, I stuck the soft part straight onto the carpet. I really don't expect that to hold, but it does now. If I like it, I guess I can stitch the Velcro onto the carpet. Anyone have a better idea?

Velcro loops won't stick to the carpet, at least not the ones I have. So, I stuck the soft part straight onto the carpet. I really don't expect that to hold, but it does now. If I like it, I guess I can stitch the Velcro onto the carpet. Anyone have a better idea?
Stitching seems the most reliable/permanent. That's what I was originally planing on doing (actually I was going to ask my wife to do it, I have a hard time sewing on buttons with out making a mess of it.)