Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X in the Movies and TV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Moderator note: This thread was started with posts moved from Tesla-Model-S-in-the-Movies-and-T]

The new TV series Extant (still in the middle of watching it mind you), at about 9 minutes into the show and the guy and boy are driving in their "future" car, and of course autopilot is driving him, he is facing the rear and what do you know? Giant touch screen in the middle... hrmmm looks familiar, but a bit different on the styling... ok, as it pans around just over his shoulder I look at the steering wheel and it is actually the Tesla (technically mercedes) steering and you can just barely start to catch the logo on it... Now, they don't show the full emblem, but it looks strikingly like the T :)

Will post later if there is a better shot! I love that the future is Tesla!

edit: Took two screen caps that show, and better look at the dash and that is definitely a Tesla overlay on the screen too, oh and the doors are totally falcon doors in the back now that I think about it... so technically, this would be in the wrong thread... Who would have thought we would already be at "Model X in the Movies and TV"!!! I am dying right now and haven't even progressed past 10 minutes! Oh I hope there is another shot of it!

Totally the current Model X dash...
dash.PNG

And that is totally a T on the steering...
steering.PNG

And that is totally the falcon wing!
door.PNG

Let the speculation begin!!! Auto pilot on the Model X in 2015??? OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! I do hope it's true!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe at some time in the future, when this show supposedly takes place :wink: Nice catch by the way, I just watched the show and didn't even pick up on it.

Well thanks, it was the touch screen that piqued my interest initially and then was intently watching the steering hoping for another clue (I didn't see the dash long enough at first), so then when I took it back frame by frame sucking in everything it all started to click haha! Thank God for DVR!

So having made it through the show, the only other potentials will happen later on in the season (future episodes), there are three car scenes in the trailer but only one looks promising, I took it frame by frame looking for cues here, but they are really short shots, However there is one in which Haley's character is being chased down by what looks like a Jeep (maybe?) but all you see is the paneling around her and the headrest. However it is *possible* it is the same car from earlier. Maybe, maybe not, I can't tell the exact coloring of her seat but it is a fixed headrest, and the paneling is white like from earlier... So I am hopeful we will get another chance to see a Tesla!

final.PNG

edit: looking at it side by side from earlier... not the same car... plus, Tesla is never going to give us grab handles... so clearly not the same haha! But I remain hopeful!

- - - Updated - - -

looking further at the dash... it strikes me a bit... off... almost like they took images from a very early build of the dash layout... the logos are off, there is no home button or driver profiles in the corner...

Plus, if autopilot drives with that terrible of energy usage I might have to never go with it :p

Yes, I realize the screen images are likely simulated... but it is fun to think about!

However it is *possible* it is the same car from earlier. Maybe, maybe not, I can't tell the exact coloring of her seat but it is a fixed headrest, and the paneling is white like from earlier... So I am hopeful we will get another chance to see a Tesla!

View attachment 53364

edit: looking at it side by side from earlier... not the same car... plus, Tesla is never going to give us grab handles... so clearly not the same haha! But I remain hopeful!

Sorry, it's electric, but not a Tesla:

BMW i3 and i8 starring in Steven Spielberg

Took two screen caps that show, and better look at the dash and that is definitely a Tesla overlay on the screen too, oh and the doors are totally falcon doors in the back now that I think about it... so technically, this would be in the wrong thread... Who would have thought we would already be at "Model X in the Movies and TV"!!! I am dying right now and haven't even progressed past 10 minutes! Oh I hope there is another shot of it!

Those are clearly Model X seats also. Well spotted. Hope you don't mind that I moved your post and started a new thread here in the X section.

This is probably the outcome of the appearance of the Model X prototype at the Culver Studios in January:
Has the Production Ready Model X Been Spotted?

Does anyone else see some really weird seating arrangements and cuts? at 9:08:32, he's in bucket seats facing backwards, and at 9:08:46, he's exiting from the back row bench with the middle row completely missing. Did he get up and change seats in those 14 seconds? Also, where is the middle row?

Last edited:
This is probably the outcome of the appearance of the Model X prototype at the Culver Studios in January:
Has the Production Ready Model X Been Spotted?

Does anyone else see some really weird seating arrangements and cuts? at 9:08:32, he's in bucket seats facing backwards, and at 9:08:46, he's exiting from the back row bench with the middle row completely missing. Did he get up and change seats in those 14 seconds? Also, where is the middle row?

Makes me wonder if Tesla intended the X to be out sooner and perhaps use this as promo

I think that's less about the real design and more about this - Moviemistakes.com

@chckensevil nice find! I just read an NYT review of that show this morning and was thinking about finding it on iTunes (I don't have cable) but now I am determined to watch it. Exciting to see the Model X onscreen.

But let's get real: it's a TV show and no matter what is shown on the screen or discussed in the dialogue, it doesn't mean the X will necessarily debut with an "Autopilot" option. I am aware that Elon has talked about it -- I was at the TSLA shareholders meeting and heard his remarks first hand -- and I'm confident it is coming but who knows when it will be available.

Sorry, it's electric, but not a Tesla:

BMW i3 and i8 starring in Steven Spielberg

Okay now I'm confused. The OP shows screen caps from Extant that are obviously the Model X because of the Tesla UI shown on the center screen and the Falcon Door view from the inside.

But the article you linked to says the show is using the i3 and i8.

So is the show using Tesla and BMW EVs? It appears so.

Interesting though the comments that Elon has made regarding the interesting configrations that the seats could take. Until now, it was thinking that maybe the middle row would swivel. This poses an even more interesting possibility!

Okay now I'm confused. The OP shows screen caps from Extant that are obviously the Model X because of the Tesla UI shown on the center screen and the Falcon Door view from the inside.

But the article you linked to says the show is using the i3 and i8.

So is the show using Tesla and BMW EVs? It appears so.

That's right, they are using both the BMW and the Tesla Model X. The man and "boy" in the Model X are the husband and "son" of Halle Berry's character, who is driving the BMW. I guess they are a two electric car family. I don't think either car's exterior has been seen yet, but it's only the first episode.

BTW, I'd tell you why I put "boy" and "son" in quotes, but I don't want to give out any spoilers.

It's the boy who's getting out of the rear bench, not the driver. The driver, who is facing rearward, just starts to get up to exit the same side door as the scene cuts. They are both wearing tan jackets and slacks (brown making a comeback?) and both playing with transparent tablets so it was hard to tell unless you went back and looked.

tesla x extant.jpg

Last edited:
It's the boy who's getting out of the rear bench, not the driver. The driver, who is facing rearward, just starts to get up to exit the same side door as the scene cuts. They are both wearing tan jackets and slacks (brown making a comeback?) and both playing with transparent tablets so it was hard to tell unless you went back and looked.

Thanks. That's a helpful clarification. As I see this, they've removed the second row seats entirely. I wonder how easy that will be in the production model. Given that this is a prototype, it probably means nothing. We know the third row seats are optional. Lots of interesting possibilities.

That's right, they are using both the BMW and the Tesla Model X. The man and "boy" in the Model X are the husband and "son" of Halle Berry's character, who is driving the BMW. I guess they are a two electric car family. I don't think either car's exterior has been seen yet, but it's only the first episode.
BTW, I'd tell you why I put "boy" and "son" in quotes, but I don't want to give out any spoilers.

Thanks for the info. And I think you just revealed a couple of spoilers but I will keep my speculation to myself ;-)

That's great that Spielberg is envisioning a future full of EVs.