Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rollin Coal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
So some bright folks down in South Carolina have figured out how to modify their diesel engines to belch out insane amount of black exhaust. Apparently this is a way to "screw Obama". If you maintained any inkling that there was a future for the human race, this should help you get over that nagging feeling.

The New Way to Air | Streetsblog USA

I would love to see some video of this truck in Beijing.

roll-coal.png

RT

Thanks for starting out my morning with first a laugh... then a cry. I really think it is apolitical to respect the environment... and even if - despite the science - one chooses not to believe in global warming, one should respect the fact that others nearby need to breathe. This is not sticking it to anyone in particular - just to everyone.

I suppose my natural reaction to this would be to get frustrated, but I've gotten to the point where I'm frustrated with being frustrated. I really want the other side to do something new, something interesting. It's gotten too predictable now. Deny science, trash clean/energy and the environment, fill the air with rage and ignorance. It seems every time I've seen them do the stupidest possible thing imaginable, they always come back with something way stupider than I was previously expecting. So in that sense, something like this isn't that surprising.

Maybe I don't need to keep promoting reason and science. It seems they are doing a good job of showing us why we don't want the alternative. And yes you do know who "they" are.

I suppose my natural reaction to this would be to get frustrated, but I've gotten to the point where I'm frustrated with being frustrated. I really want the other side to do something new, something interesting. It's gotten too predictable now. Deny science, trash clean/energy and the environment, fill the air with rage and ignorance. It seems every time I've seen them do the stupidest possible thing imaginable, they always come back with something way stupider than I was previously expecting. So in that sense, something like this isn't that surprising.

Maybe I don't need to keep promoting reason and science. It seems they are doing a good job of showing us why we don't want the alternative. And yes you do know who "they" are.

Maybe going OT here.... but this is where I think the climate change advocates got off track. The most visible spokesman: Al Gore. When they elect a president of their organization, it is ex-Sierra Club. One thing I learned the hard way... when you are trying to convince people, you get the biggest doubters in the tent so they can bring along the other doubters. Climate Change advocates need to recruit a believer from deep right field to head up their organizations, and Al Gore needs to ride along quietly in the back seat. I've stopped donating and written the organizations on this several times - also volunteering to help. But, they seem to want to perpetuate the insular process of spending all of their money convincing the already-convinced. Somehow, the world needs to un-polarize on this topic.

Maybe going OT here.... but this is where I think the climate change advocates got off track. The most visible spokesman: Al Gore. When they elect a president of their organization, it is ex-Sierra Club. One thing I learned the hard way... when you are trying to convince people, you get the biggest doubters in the tent so they can bring along the other doubters. Climate Change advocates need to recruit a believer from deep right field to head up their organizations, and Al Gore needs to ride along quietly in the back seat. I've stopped donating and written the organizations on this several times - also volunteering to help. But, they seem to want to perpetuate the insular process of spending all of their money convincing the already-convinced. Somehow, the world needs to un-polarize on this topic.
My interpretation of this behavior is that they are prioritizing having a political issue over actually solving a problem.

If you want to win seats or campaigns, that might be a good plan.
If you actually care about the issue you're fighting for, a different strategy (as tomas suggests) is preferred.

Climate change advocacy is not coupled with Al Gore nor should be coupled with any person. Climate science goes back to the late 19th century. It has always been scientists who brought this issue forward even though they aren't the most vocal of people for the most part (something I wish would change, but I respect it, scientists have no obligation towards public advocacy). Since scientists largely don't promote climate action, then someone else does. Politicians are one, but they are always cause division. Then you have celebrities, but they are not taken seriously most of the time. So eventually it becomes clear that climate action is really a ball that is in our court, we the people have to make the change. If there were no social action at all on climate change, then I am convinced that it would fail. Likewise if there were more, it would help a lot.

Also don't be afraid of polarization. Focus more on fighting for what you believe in. That's something you'll never regret, but you will regret sitting on the sidelines if you later wish you hadn't.

- - - Updated - - -

The number of executive orders from this administration is less than the previous administrations. A rate of 30/year as compared to 36/year from GWB. But no need to let facts interfere.

Let's keep this on energy/environment.

In Washington we have emissions checks. That's a very easy solution to this problem. Also I think that police can issue citations based on polluting vehicles. That's all that's needed to stop something like this. I'd imagine that people who do this are in such a small minority that their pollution contribution is rather minimal compared to the whole. So they may produce as much pollution as 100 cars with each of their modified rigs. Since they are probably less than 0.01 percent of drivers, they don't really do much other than annoy people around them.

In Washington we have emissions checks. That's a very easy solution to this problem. Also I think that police can issue citations based on polluting vehicles. That's all that's needed to stop something like this. I'd imagine that people who do this are in such a small minority that their pollution contribution is rather minimal compared to the whole. So they may produce as much pollution as 100 cars with each of their modified rigs. Since they are probably less than 0.01 percent of drivers, they don't really do much other than annoy people around them.

Don't agree. A crime is a crime independently from the damage that it produces. You can steal an apple or $1,000,000, you always do the same crime. Now if polluting willingly is considered a crime in the USA it must be punished independently from the damage that it produces IMO.

Enforcement is the issue. You won't find police enforcing laws on emissions standards.
Actually they do (at least in California). They can issue "fix-it" tickets if they find illegal emissions equipment modifications (the legal ones have a CARB exemption number on them).

Usually they target the ones that are easy to spot (loud, lots of other auto-body modifications, etc).