Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth to JVC--poor streaming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
Hi,

I've got a Roadster 2, with the base JVC 900 head unit.

It comes with a bluetooth adapter that you can plug in to one of the USB ports. It works fine when I pair it to my phone for voice calls.

But when I try streaming music from my iPhone, it doesn't work very well. It connects, controls the player, and plays the music--but it "skips". Roughly once every three seconds, a small (maybe 1/4) second piece of the music is missing. You have no problem telling what song it is, but boy is it annoying.

The iPhone streams music just fine when I pair it with a Motorola T605 bluetooth controller in another car. I have tried both USB ports on the JVC. I have the iPhone about a foot away from the bluetooth adapter; but I moved it back and forth a bit with no change. I have tried shutting everything off and restarting, but same behavior. There were no other bluetooth devices in the vicinity.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chad

When I first took delivery, my bluetooth worked. But it has stopped working and cannot connect any longer.

My iPhone works in my other car, but not in the Tesla with the JVC.

You and Chad are both ahead of me. I've also got the JVC unit. I was able to pair it with my phone fine, but every time I receive a call the phone reboots. The phone works fine with a bluetooth headset, though.

I'm pretty sure that this is a problem/bug with the phone, not the JVC unit, so I can't compain to Tesla (or JVC).

I stuck my music collection (or a few hundred CDs worth, anyway) on a USB stick and use that, it works really well.

Skipping

Are you talking about "skipping" to the next song, or a periodic period of silence, after which the song resumes.

There is another thread somewhere about the former: The problem was the iPhone has a "shake to shuffle" option. Every time you hit a bump, the iPhone changes song. You need to turn that feature off on your iPhone.

Does that help?

Are you talking about "skipping" to the next song, or a periodic period of silence, after which the song resumes.

There is another thread somewhere about the former: The problem was the iPhone has a "shake to shuffle" option. Every time you hit a bump, the iPhone changes song. You need to turn that feature off on your iPhone.

Does that help?

Thanks, but it's brief silences in the middle of songs--it is not skipping to another song. (I was trying this sitting still in my garage).

--Chad

Add your own iPhone dock

I'll try my iPhone for comparison but, I'd suggest that you add your own iPhone dock in ten minutes.

Lift the rubber mat in the centre console off

Undo the single screw holding it (the dock we'll call it) in.

Carefully lift the whole section up and out (it's retained at the back with a push on clip so it'll come up easily) - watch for wires to the TC switch.

Using a new style iPod cable, plug into USB

Using thick foam double sided tape, affix to dock connector as per diagram - use two layers as required on the base of the dock to ensure that it sits proud enough to penetrate the iPhone connector when you lower the iPhone onto it.

Affix the dock connector to the 'dock' at the front; see diagram

I pushed a peice of black foam into the back section to keep everything together and snug.

Coil the cable underneath the 'dock' and re-assemble.

Now you have better audio quality and your iPhone is recharged as you drive plus Pandora? BBC World Service? Sat NAV spoken directions, etc.

MPT

Attachments

• iPod dock.jpg
    iPod dock.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 522
I just inserted the Schoche adapter between the original JVC iPod cable and the cable for the ProClip adapter I bought to go with the Roadster Foundry (soon to be) / Casner iPod mount, and buried the whole mess up in the center console tube, the bottom of which which pops out and back in fairly easily from underneath ('08).

Bluetooth always seemed like a solution looking for a problem, anyhow...

FYI; I have an iPhone 3G with firmware 3.1; how does that compare?

I have an iPhone 3G with firmware 3.0. I will try an upgrade just in case.

I also tried it while driving today, but no improvement.

MPT, thanks for the dock idea. If I was keeping the iPhone, I would do that, but it's a work phone and I will have to change it in a couple of months.

--Chad

I deleted the iPhone pairing from the JVC headunit, and re-paired the device. It worked great the first time I played music, did a little more of the skipping the second time I played music...and has been just fine ever since. Odd.

Another owner in the area had a similar problem that was fixed by re-pairing the phone to the car.

I have a Blackberry Bold and the JVC unit and it does the same thing when trying to play music to it via Bluetooth--skips all of the time. It works fine when using it on calls via Bluetooth. I can use the same Blackberry Bold and play music fine through a set of Bluetooth headphones. It's a JVC issue. My JVC unit also randomly reboots when playing music from its internal hard drive. I called JVC about it but they are useless.

Reviving this old thread: new owner here, I've searched the Roadster forums and read through several threads but am still unclear on how to get my iPhone to play music through the car speakers. Here is my situation:

1.5 Roadster, has what I believe is the original JVC KD-NX5000 head unit, I have an iPhone 6 which this morning I have successfully paired via Bluetooth and I can make calls from my phone and hear it through the speakers.

Then I started playing some music on my iPhone, but could not hear any music from the car speakers. I cranked up the volume on the JVC and the iPhone, but can't hear anything. The JVC indicates that it sees my phone and is connected to it via Bluetooth.

In the center console below the gearshift is a very short old-style iPod/iPhone cable. Is that just a power supply cable, or do I need to get an adaptor cable with a current Lightning connector end to connect to my iPhone and then I will be able to play music through the car speakers? At the moment I am powering my iPhone 6 with a cable plugged into the 12V socket.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Reviving this old thread: new owner here, I've searched the Roadster forums and read through several threads but am still unclear on how to get my iPhone to play music through the car speakers. Here is my situation:

1.5 Roadster, has what I believe is the original JVC KD-NX5000 head unit, I have an iPhone 6 which this morning I have successfully paired via Bluetooth and I can make calls from my phone and hear it through the speakers.

Then I started playing some music on my iPhone, but could not hear any music from the car speakers. I cranked up the volume on the JVC and the iPhone, but can't hear anything. The JVC indicates that it sees my phone and is connected to it via Bluetooth.

In the center console below the gearshift is a very short old-style iPod/iPhone cable. Is that just a power supply cable, or do I need to get an adaptor cable with a current Lightning connector end to connect to my iPhone and then I will be able to play music through the car speakers? At the moment I am powering my iPhone 6 with a cable plugged into the 12V socket.

Yeah, I had that radio, it definitely didn't do bluetooth streaming. You'll need an adaptor to plug it in to the old apple connector.

Yeah, I had that radio, it definitely didn't do bluetooth streaming. You'll need an adaptor to plug it in to the old apple connector.

Thanks @ggr. So the adaptor I want is a mini RCA to old style Apple connector, in other words one end will connect to the iPhone output jack (for headphones or earbuds) and the other end connects to the old style Apple connector cable that I have below the gearshift?

So that old style Apple connector cable below the gearshift is in effect an "Aux In" jack?

I stream my iphone 5 on the JVC all the time.

Quick note, you have to select the 'source' on the JVC unit to 'iPhone' or else it won't stream. Bluetooth phone calls will work no matter what the Source you're on. Hope that solves it for you.

Jackyche, when I cycle through the JVC AV choices I see choices for "iPod" and "Bluetooth Audio streaming", neither of which result in music on my iPhone playing through the car speakers (note: the FM radio choice will play music so I know the JVC and speakers are working) . There is no "iPhone" choice in the AV list.

dhrivnak, thanks for the Amazon link. I wonder if there is a shorter cable than 4 ft. I only need less than a foot!