Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Replacement Poll for P85+ Owners

Plus owners, when did you replace your tires?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit surprised that we had to change out our tires in just 11,000 miles. We were told that the inside was completely bald. He did say that it is natural for the camber to go off naturally over time and because these are high-performance tires that needing to change the tires at my current rate is normal. I would like to post a poll to see where the plus owners were at when your tires needing replacement.

I only want to make sure this is normal and I am not an outlier. Thank you.

11K miles sounds about normal for a plus. Several plus owners had the rear tires go at 3K-5K miles due to bad alignment. I've had hi-perf rear wheel drive cars before and 10K-15K for rear tires is about what is expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Poll doesn't specify which tires. There's likely to be a big difference between the 19"s and 21"s to start with. In our case we replaced the rears only at ~7,000 miles, the fronts lasted much longer.

Poll is labeled "P85+"...

I can't really contribute much proper data, but on my P85+ the inside edges of the 265/35-21s show cord, but I have lots of tread all across at 8500 miles. This wear is due to fairly massive rear tow-out for as-of-yet unknown reasons despite multiple "good" alignments from the Service Center. With my driving style I would have expected about double this (I am mostly always in granny mode in std height despite the P85+ with air). Mid/upper teens or better longevity (wearing tread out, not inside shoulder) has been my experience in the past with similar high performance cars with fat soft tires. Misalignment really is not the point of your poll I don't think, but maybe it should be.

I have the 21s on my p85+. The first tire blew out on a pothole at 5k. The next one needed replacement at 15k (that side's first replacement). The most recent one was at 25k (so, it had been on there since 5k... 20k total on it). These were all rears. The fronts are at 27k now and look barely used according to the service center.

Disregarding the one that hit a pothole, I am averaging 17.5k on my tires. I used to get about 22-25k on the tires on my ford focus. So far the Tesla isn't doing too shabby, if you ask me. I still think there is an issue, but it isn't as bad as it first seemed (on my car). Wish I got the free replacements... lol

Hi Kraken,

Just because I have actually met you in person! Can I clarify this a bit. From what I understand your almost all freeway driving and in the flats?

I have the 21s on my p85+. The first tire blew out on a pothole at 5k. The next one needed replacement at 15k (that side's first replacement). The most recent one was at 25k (so, it had been on there since 5k... 20k total on it). These were all rears. The fronts are at 27k now and look barely used according to the service center.

Disregarding the one that hit a pothole, I am averaging 17.5k on my tires. I used to get about 22-25k on the tires on my ford focus. So far the Tesla isn't doing too shabby, if you ask me. I still think there is an issue, but it isn't as bad as it first seemed (on my car). Wish I got the free replacements... lol

It will be interesting to tabulate the data in from the poll for another dimension.

1. Plus owners with the staggered tire set-up (I presume this is what the poll was for?)
2. Plus owners that have straight 21s" (non-staggered).
3. Plus owners that have switched to 19"
4. Those owners that missed the point about Plus or are not sure what they have.

:)

Still on originals on my P85+; 11K on them; rechecked alignment at 6K ***I put on winter 21s for 4K this winter***

To be clear: 15K overall; 11k and still going w/ 6/32 inside rear depth on the original Michelins 4K on winters

I realize this is a non scientific poll. But it is also important to know how these cars were driven. Quick take offs and lots of highway driving causing the car to 'auto lower', thus changing the alignment angles, will cause faster wear.

Last edited:
Hi Kraken,

Just because I have actually met you in person! Can I clarify this a bit. From what I understand your almost all freeway driving and in the flats?

Flats? You mean the central valley? Yeah, most of the driving is in the central valley with a few trips on highways through the bay area.

The first 10k miles were driving around town locally mainly (we worked close). At 5k, right about the time the first tire blew out on a pothole on base, they restricted lowering.
Then, the next 15k + have included a lot of daily highway miles with some driving around town. Our commute went form 20 miles to 150 daily. There have been a few hills driving through the Sierra foothills, but a good majority are too and from work on I-80 and Cal 70 in the central valley.

One thing I was told was that because I live in a hilly area my tires will wear out faster (more regenerative braking). Someone had suggested I try turning off regen for a while to see if it would make a difference, but that would require a whole set of tires to really tell. I only live at a few hundred feet in elevation but the 1/4 mile road to my house has a 17% grade.

I'm wondering if your getting such good wear on your tires is because your driving in the central valley (flats)

Flats? You mean the central valley? Yeah, most of the driving is in the central valley with a few trips on highways through the bay area.

The first 10k miles were driving around town locally mainly (we worked close). At 5k, right about the time the first tire blew out on a pothole on base, they restricted lowering.
Then, the next 15k + have included a lot of daily highway miles with some driving around town. Our commute went form 20 miles to 150 daily. There have been a few hills driving through the Sierra foothills, but a good majority are too and from work on I-80 and Cal 70 in the central valley.