Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remember to check auto-lock feature.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my car entered today in my garage. The garage was unlocked to let the landscaper get to the yard watering system. But I thought the car was locked. It was not. If you've been here a while, you will remember that early software updates sometimes changed some preferences. To make a long story short, my auto-lock feature had been switched to "off". The perp got in my car, played with the screen, plugged it in (I had it unplugged to lower the SOC), and sat in it long enough to raise the SOC to 25 miles above the slider set point. Only loss was a pair of prescription sunglasses ($500 to replace..ouch). But they had fun playing with the car for over an hour (NEMA 14-50 setup).

So, I urge everyone to check their auto-lock now, and after software updates. Tesla was very helpful to determine that the car had not been driven, when it was entered, etc, findings at which the police were amazed.

Happy motoring!

Dang, that's just weird. At least they didn't break anything. Can't imagine what the touchscreen would cost to replace.

I don't like auto-lock because I want it unlocked in my garage, and because it auto-locks even if there are other people in the car. Arriving at a hotel once I parked in front, hopped out, and walked inside to check in while my family was still in the car. It auto-locked, and then my nephew decided to open the door. Holy loud horn alarms, Batman!

So...I turned that off and just use the key-fob to lock it when I park out in public. Just like the old days.

I had my car entered today in my garage. The garage was unlocked to let the landscaper get to the yard watering system. But I thought the car was locked. It was not. If you've been here a while, you will remember that early software updates sometimes changed some preferences. To make a long story short, my auto-lock feature had been switched to "off". The perp got in my car, played with the screen, plugged it in (I had it unplugged to lower the SOC), and sat in it long enough to raise the SOC to 25 miles above the slider set point. Only loss was a pair of prescription sunglasses ($500 to replace..ouch). But they had fun playing with the car for over an hour (NEMA 14-50 setup).

So, I urge everyone to check their auto-lock now, and after software updates. Tesla was very helpful to determine that the car had not been driven, when it was entered, etc, findings at which the police were amazed.

Happy motoring!
That sucks but clearly could have been much worse - e.g. vandalism etc. I discovered something similar recently, i.e. auto lock was off. It took me a while to figure it out as I thought it was some issue with fob detection etc. I was surprised to find that the option was turned off. I assumed I might have inadvertently changed it but perhaps it happened with my last update.

Dang, that's just weird. At least they didn't break anything. Can't imagine what the touchscreen would cost to replace.

I don't like auto-lock because I want it unlocked in my garage, and because it auto-locks even if there are other people in the car. Arriving at a hotel once I parked in front, hopped out, and walked inside to check in while my family was still in the car. It auto-locked, and then my nephew decided to open the door. Holy loud horn alarms, Batman!

So...I turned that off and just use the key-fob to lock it when I park out in public. Just like the old days.

+1. I need it unlocked so my kids can get in to the car in the morning while I'm getting all the stuff I need - lunchboxes, laptop, purse etc

Then when I stop somewhere I have to dig out the key from the bottomless pit that is my purse. I soooo wish they had the hidden line or square on the handle to lock the car!!

@Thorts- so do you have any idea who did it?

If someone got into my garage, with all the tools, bikes and firearms in there, the car is the last thing they would probably mess with! Glad a pair of glasses is all you lost.

Thanks, jcaspar. Because I've had to leave the side door open so much lately for the yard work, I have nothing other than the car in there. And I always assumed the car was impregnable.

No incidents so far, but I also had the loss of walk away auto-lock after the last update. The update was right before a road trip, so I had taken the time to check all my settings before we left... Could have been bad.

This is why I have a camera in my garage... crooks these days have a LOT of balls and will back up a truck and start stealing things out of your garage in broad daylight (this happened to some neighbors of mine a few streets down)..

As for the settings like auto lock not persisting after an update. THIS NEEDS TO BE RESOLVED. That not only risks your stuff from getting stolen (laptops, wallet, gun, jewelry, etc), but could also put you or your kids in jeopardy of carjacking... or worse...

Honestly, I don't understand why this is so difficult for them to get right... It's something that should "just work" after an update... For Tesla to be successful, they'll have to start selling to the more "mainstream" type of car buyer... and they're not going to think, I just upgraded... let me check my settings to make sure they all carried over. Us early adopters make great beta testers, but not everyone thinks like a software engineer.

This is why I have a camera in my garage... crooks these days have a LOT of balls and will back up a truck and start stealing things out of your garage in broad daylight (this happened to some neighbors of mine a few streets down)..

As for the settings like auto lock not persisting after an update. THIS NEEDS TO BE RESOLVED. That not only risks your stuff from getting stolen (laptops, wallet, gun, jewelry, etc), but could also put you or your kids in jeopardy of carjacking... or worse...

Honestly, I don't understand why this is so difficult for them to get right... It's something that should "just work" after an update... For Tesla to be successful, they'll have to start selling to the more "mainstream" type of car buyer... and they're not going to think, I just upgraded... let me check my settings to make sure they all carried over. Us early adopters make great beta testers, but not everyone thinks like a software engineer.

For what it's worth I've never had to reset my auto lock settings (or any that I can think of) after an update even all the way back from 4.0 to now

For what it's worth I've never had to reset my auto lock settings (or any that I can think of) after an update even all the way back from 4.0 to now

Yeah, me neither, but there have been enough credible reports that it does appear to be a problem. Only thing I ever lost was backup mirror setting, and that only happened once. Strange how some people seem prone and others immune.

I think I experienced this problem today. I've been checking on my car with the mobile app, while I'm on a road trip, with an eye on the lock state. Earlier today (while I was supercharging, actually), the car was locked, according to the mobile app, and I think the only way it could have gotten that way was to auto-lock. Then tonight, I decided to check on a whim, while my car is parked at my hotel, and it's unlocked! So somehow the setting must have changed itself even without a software update. I haven't been back to the car, yet, to actually check the setting, but rather I just locked it via the app.