Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking apart the side mirror assembly - looking for help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I am the DIY kind of person. I managed to vinyl wrap most of my chrome trims so far and I am actually stuck with wrapping the chrome section of the mirror assembly. I have the non self folding mirror units. I am mentioning this because the two kind of units are very different.

Wrapping the part that is attached to the door is the painful one. It seems that there is a way to disassemble the hinge that join the mirror unit to the mirror mount on the door. I'm sorry if my descriptions are not very clear. I could probably add some pictures later.

Could anyone gives me the information how to take apart the to main sections of the mirror assembly of the Model S ? Removing the plastic covers is fairly easy.

Many thanks

I'm sorry, I had to borrow someone else picture. The red circle I drew is were the hinge is. The must be a way to unscrew or remove that part. That way I could easily wrap the lower portion of the mirror in vinyl. Otherwise it makes a messy job.

9e56e326-6aeb-4789-a221-10400d3145482.jpg

They are really good. Could you tel me where ? I guess that would be on the south shore. I believe I met last year at on of the meet of the Tesla club. Are you the one who had a fake hamster in the drunk to show that you have one more HP than anyone else ? :)

Perhaps you're in the wrong part of the forum. I was trying to decide if you wanted information on the Roadster side mirrors or the Model S side mirrors & it took until you posted a picture to know.

I'll ask the mod for this area to move it over to Model S.

can't help you with the disassembly part, but I do have a question/comment/suggestion ... what are you wrapping the mirror body with? ... my guy did a carbon fiber look, and every time I'm at a supercharger, people come up, ask about my car, and invariably tell me how much they like the mirrors
mirror.JPG

To the detailers I went it seemed really hard without taking them apart
I called the guy who did my wrap and he says it isn't necessary to remove them, they just do it in place

BTW, had a hard time deciding how to do the nosecone, but finally went with a "4 color" look ... mostly body color (matte gunmetal), matte black dechrome, carbon fiber in the skinny upper portion, and a red accent "T" ... (another BTW, the Model X model on display in the lobby at the Hawthorne Design Center has the same skinny top carbon fiber section) ... here's the nose, and a full side view ... (also did the rear diffuser in CF, but no pic):

front T.JPG
side.JPG

I called the guy who did my wrap and he says it isn't necessary to remove them, they just do it in place

BTW, had a hard time deciding how to do the nosecone, but finally went with a "4 color" look ... mostly body color (matte gunmetal), matte black dechrome, carbon fiber in the skinny upper portion, and a red accent "T" ... (another BTW, the Model X model on display in the lobby at the Hawthorne Design Center has the same skinny top carbon fiber section) ... here's the nose, and a full side view ... (also did the rear diffuser in CF, but no pic):

View attachment 53488View attachment 53489

Im getting mine wrapped this wednesday and I cant decide on matte gunmetal metallic or charcoal metallic, but I think Ill go gunmetal. How has the quality been? Im also choosing Avery Dennison and Ive never had a wrapped vehicle before so dont know what to expect.