Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EZ Pass Transponder Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a number of threads and discussion on this topic. Some locations work for some owners but not others. Based upon what I read in other threads, I installed mine immediately to the right of the rear view mirror and as high as possible --- so the transponder is in the area with the black dots. I have had no problems with this installation.

That worked for me too.

I got one of the license-plate mount style transponders and mounted it under the nosecone similarly to this pic below, except I used adhesive backing rather than zip ties:
sunpass.jpg

I have the license plate transponder behind my nose cone and its performance is erratic -- I've gotten a few violations notices. It has also failed a few times at lift gate toll booths, which presents a real problem. So I've switched to the windshield transponder mounted to the right of the rearview mirror stem on the black dots, as Tesla has advised. Don't yet have enough experience with this mount to determine its effectiveness, but I'll report back when I do.

I have the license plate transponder behind my nose cone and its performance is erratic -- I've gotten a few violations notices. It has also failed a few times at lift gate toll booths, which presents a real problem. So I've switched to the windshield transponder mounted to the right of the rearview mirror stem on the black dots, as Tesla has advised. Don't yet have enough experience with this mount to determine its effectiveness, but I'll report back when I do.

I have the nose cone transponder, it has only failed twice, both in NYC.
I now have a spare EZ-pass wrapped in foil in my car for my next trip to NYC.

This is after 33k miles from NH/Maine down to Norfolk, VA.

Northern Virginia is implementing "Hot/HOV Lanes" where EZ Pass is a must. Cars with atleast 3 people access those lanes without paying any toll. However, for toll free access (with requisite occupancy) you have to have a switchable/flex EZ Pass transponder, which can only be mounted on the windshield. Please post some pictures of your transponder mount that really works without fail. Sincerely appreciate it.

I have the new Autopilot windshield as well and a Rhode Island issued EZPass. I've taken two trips from CT to Bethesda and not a single problem with the transponder mounted just to the right of the rearview mirror, in the black dot area.

Promised to report back. My EZ pass trasnsponder (the new small version) has worked perfectly placed in the recommended positon tight against the upper right hand side of the rear vew mirror mount.