Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

National network of approved installers for after-market Model S mods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m eager to hear the views of TMC members on an idea I’m exploring.

I’m increasingly aware that installation of the front and rear lighted Ts (soon to be available), the front/rear touchscreen camera switch, and other desirable modifications is a major barrier for Model S owners without much DIY experience, who are adverse to making any modifications themselves, or who just don’t know any reliable shops locally to do this kind of work.

Accordingly I’m discussing arrangements with an innovative company that serves a national group of professional aftermarket installation shops that will be approved for installation of these items. The installations will be warranted.

The discussions are in the early stages but my hope is that they will result in a national network of professional installers who are fully prepared to complete top-quality installations of not only the lighted Ts and camera switches but also a variety of other Tesla aftermarket goodies.

Opinions?

I still haven't installed my Lighted T for this very reason. I was going to bring it with me to TMC Connect and see if I could get some help installing it there. I would definitely like to have the option of an approved installer especially if it carried warranty.

I still haven't installed my Lighted T for this very reason. I was going to bring it with me to TMC Connect and see if I could get some help installing it there. I would definitely like to have the option of an approved installer especially if it carried warranty.

I'll be at TMC connect and can help you with it.

- - - Updated - - -

sounds good. how much would they be charging? flat rate per item/install or an hourly rate?
I like to do everything I can myself personally but for others this seems like a good idea

There would be a flat rate set for each installation.

This sounds like a good idea, along the lines of the custom audio & remote starter installers. Best Buy actually does a lot of that, although a company that size might be difficult to work with. I'm curious artsi, in your thread title did you mean "improved installers" or "approved installers." If you meant the latter, it would be important to emphasize that it does not mean "approved by Tesla Motors" — unless it does, of course!

I recently spoke to a Tesla Ranger about custom mods, and he said that he'd seen some very interesting ones while doing service calls. At this point it appears that Tesla's attitude is that if the mod doesn't interfere with any of the car's normal functions or the firmware, or pose a potential safety issue, it will not affect the warranty. Of course, if the mod causes the car to eat through than one 12V gel cell, Tesla understandably might hesitate to keep replacing them for free.

Great idea. I'm sure many people are like me in that they may not feel comfortable doing mods to their car beyond the simple stuff and would like to have it professionally installed. Nice idea and hope it works out.

Count me in for the rear 'brake light' T. I did install the front T after days of reading about how other people did it. The rear T sounds more complicated in terms of hardware disassembly/reassembly and as much as I would like the rear T I doubt I will order it if I intend a DIY.

Last edited:
I would definitely like a approved installer for some of the more complicated installs.

Rick, if you are interested in doing a group demo at TMC Connect of the front camera switch, I would volunteer my MS.

Approved is what I meant....

Magic-Wand.png

An approved installers list would be an awesome idea! I worked as an installer all through high school and college and learned how shady the business could be. After watching coworkers do shoddy install jobs on everything from remote starts to high end stereo systems, I decided I would always do my own work from there on out. Finished my engineering degree back in 2006 and have spent the last 8 years as a flight test engineer in the Air Force and at NASA, and still do all my own installation work! =) If anyone needs any help with installations here in the NYC area, I have my private garage in Brooklyn and am more than willing to help out any fellow Tesla owners. I've installed the MobilEye, Front/Rear cameras (BlackVue), Lighted T, some custom footwell lighting, and eventually plan on installing a subwoofer in my P85.

Thanks for correcting my error!

- - - Updated - - -

An approved installers list would be an awesome idea! I worked as an installer all through high school and college and learned how shady the business could be. After watching coworkers do shoddy install jobs on everything from remote starts to high end stereo systems, I decided I would always do my own work from there on out. Finished my engineering degree back in 2006 and have spent the last 8 years as a flight test engineer in the Air Force and at NASA, and still do all my own installation work! =) If anyone needs any help with installations here in the NYC area, I have my private garage in Brooklyn and am more than willing to help out any fellow Tesla owners. I've installed the MobilEye, Front/Rear cameras (BlackVue), Lighted T, some custom footwell lighting, and eventually plan on installing a subwoofer in my P85.

The company I'm working with certifies dealers to keep out the shady types. Plus they also have to meet certain standards in regards to price and expertise for the task at hand. The price is set for each installation and the installers can't deviate from it.

I'm hoping to have this all arranged within the next week. I've already provided the installation instructions for the front and rear lighted Ts as well as the camera switch.