Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Planning! Long Island-Tupper Lake NY... trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Caloncho

LongerTelomeres?
Nov 18, 2013
NewYork USA
Hi fellow teslarians, I have to go (roundtrip) from Long Island NY to Tupper Lake NY, and stay there three days.

:crying:
Getting a mild case of hypo-range-o-phobia already, specially traveling with a 10 year old kid.

Specially because Tupper Lake is in the middle of the Adirondack forest where there is no internet nor mobile phone signal. Been there before (used a piece of ICE) and is like the middle of nowhere, only with nicer people and astonishing pretty scenery.

Any advice? All comments appreciated!
Where to stop? where not to stop? Range...

First trip in our 4K mile old Model S 85kw.
First use of the exterior EZ Pass transponder too.

:smile:
TIA!

Cal

Last edited:
The Albany supercharger should make getting there and back a piece of cake. Do you have a place to charge there? There is nothing on plugshare in the vicinity other than a 14-50 at "The Wild Center", some sort of Adirondacks museum.

I am from that part of NYS originally. Since you have an 85 I agree with TGA that the Albany SC should make this simple. It's < 150 miles from Albany to Tupper. If you have time for 110V or reasonable destination charging you should be good. Worth checking the evtripplanner to account for elevation changes. Should be an RV outlet around there especially if you take the Gore Mtn exit and travel through the lakes: Indian Lake, Long Lake, Blue Mountain Lake, Tupper Lake.

A quick look at trip planner says that Albany to Tupper Lake is:

Distance 237.5 km 147.6 miles
Driving Time 2:35
Total Energy Used 43.4 kWh 148 RM
Average Energy per Mile 294 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change 421 meters 1381 feet
See more at: http://evtripplanner.com/planner/2-3/?id=2j62#sthash.sjaqTYZC.dpuf

There seems to be several charging options in the Lake George, Saratoga, Clifton Park zone.

Plug in to any and all 120v outlets that you come across... should be able to build up enough charge over the 3 days to get back to the Albany SC as you won't be completely empty when you arrive. (not sure how much driving you have to do while at the Lake). Else there must be some RV parks.

http://tupper-lake.com/blue-jay-campsite/ Blue Jay Campsite says to bring "electric leads" so they must have some form of plug-in. Give them a call and ask if it's a 50 AMP plug.

You'll totally make it. :)

-m

The Albany supercharger should make getting there and back a piece of cake.

By this, I assume you meant getting from Long Island to Albany, and later, Albany to Long Island. Tupper Lake is 148 miles from Albany.

There are literally no charging stations in the Adirondack region, except for 14-50's at campgrounds. There is a KOA between Lake Placid and Wilmington. You could use this route to get back to I-87, in fact I would recommend it in BOTH directions because Rt 73 between Keene and Lake Placid is in TERRIBLE condition. I took my Model S up that road recently, and I really regretted it.

When you pull into Keene (after driving up I-87) bear right at the fork in the middle of the village onto Rt 9N. (Do not follow the signs to Lake Placid!) Take 9N toward Jay. In the next little village (before Jay), turn left onto Rt 12. Go a few miles and take the first left onto Rt 12A. This is the road the KOA is on. If you keep going past the KOA, it will T into Rt 86. Take a left on Rt 86 and it will eventually put you on Main St in Lake Placid. From there, it's a straight shot all the way to Tupper Lake. No turns! This routing will add about 10 miles to your trip, so plan accordingly.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just google "RV Parks" There are tons everywhere with plenty of 14-50s. It's always fun to explain to the receptionist what size rig you have! Just remember to bring your Mobile UMC kit and adapters. Also plan ahead and make reservations at the RV parks on your route ahead of time.

Just did a very similar trip in 24hrs for a funeral (Cooperstown to the North Fork and back). The Syosset SC is in an industrial park but there is a nice deli 10min walk away. The google nav took me up the taconic which is technically less miles but I still think the major highways are the way to go. The albany SC is awesome. It's in a mall (open until 9:30) and there is also a Whole Foods which was great as they sell all sorts of food by the lb and have a nice area to relax and eat a meal while you charge up. I topped it off at a Nissan/Mitsubishi dealer (J1772) in Oneonta and they couldn't have been nicer and it's w/I walking distance of a very comfortable Dunkin Donuts. I will just warn you that going thru the mountains is taxing on your mileage ... The downhills never make up for the climbs!! That said I did about a 650mi round trip for no out of pocket costs except for my overpriced meals at Whole Foods! Good luck!

Just did a very similar trip in 24hrs for a funeral (Cooperstown to the North Fork and back). The Syosset SC is in an industrial park but there is a nice deli 10min walk away. The google nav took me up the taconic which is technically less miles but I still think the major highways are the way to go. The albany SC is awesome. It's in a mall (open until 9:30) and there is also a Whole Foods which was great as they sell all sorts of food by the lb and have a nice area to relax and eat a meal while you charge up. I topped it off at a Nissan/Mitsubishi dealer (J1772) in Oneonta and they couldn't have been nicer and it's w/I walking distance of a very comfortable Dunkin Donuts. I will just warn you that going thru the mountains is taxing on your mileage ... The downhills never make up for the climbs!! That said I did about a 650mi round trip for no out of pocket costs except for my overpriced meals at Whole Foods! Good luck!

Thanks, @GardenStateTSLA, I appreciate great info !