Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1700 mile trip from North Carolina to northern Vermont and back 4th of July weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really enjoyed reading and looking at the pics!

I am doing something similar next month, Montreal, QC to Fort Myers, FL. 3200mi round-trip, about 24 Superchargers stops, 1 months, 3 adults & 3 children and a Thule box on the roof. Should be pretty interesting ;)

Really enjoyed reading and looking at the pics!

I am doing something similar next month, Montreal, QC to Fort Myers, FL. 3200mi round-trip, about 24 Superchargers stops, 1 months, 3 adults & 3 children and a Thule box on the roof. Should be pretty interesting ;)

I take it you have the rear facing seats if you are running that kinda load. I took exactly that, three adults and three kids on a trip to the beach through one supercharger. Here is what you will have an issue with...

1. kids in the back complaining its hot (there are fan solutions, and I'm working on a crazy duct solution right now that doesn't impact the seating at all. I'll post when I have it done in the next few days)

2. kids in the back complaining that they cant reach anything since the 5 point harness doesn't let them lean in any direction and holds them firm in the seat. My son became a master of picking things up with his feet. No real solution for this though ...

If nothing else you must get the tesla screen for the back window if you haven't already, it really helps keep the heat down a bit.

I take it you have the rear facing seats if you are running that kinda load. I took exactly that, three adults and three kids on a trip to the beach through one supercharger. Here is what you will have an issue with...

1. kids in the back complaining its hot (there are fan solutions, and I'm working on a crazy duct solution right now that doesn't impact the seating at all. I'll post when I have it done in the next few days)

2. kids in the back complaining that they cant reach anything since the 5 point harness doesn't let them lean in any direction and holds them firm in the seat. My son became a master of picking things up with his feet. No real solution for this though ...

If nothing else you must get the tesla screen for the back window if you haven't already, it really helps keep the heat down a bit.

Yes that's the biggest issue we expect. I will make sure to bring the Tesla Rear Liftgate Sunshade and had the windows tinted this week. I will also probably get a little portable fan too, and having the HVAC on fresh air only, I see measurable difference compared to recirculate.

Finally, I have an iPad charging cable ready for back there, but we are going to maximize night driving while the kids sleep... Less "are we there yet"...

Yes that's the biggest issue we expect. I will make sure to bring the Tesla Rear Liftgate Sunshade and had the windows tinted this week. I will also probably get a little portable fan too, and having the HVAC on fresh air only, I see measurable difference compared to recirculate.

Finally, I have an iPad charging cable ready for back there, but we are going to maximize night driving while the kids sleep... Less "are we there yet"...

This is my temporary ghetto solution which does a great job of getting cool air back there, but I just got my shipment of toys from Amazon to set up my new idea ...

http://imgur.com/a/z1ZJz

Thanks for the report. I contemplated driving to Boston last summer, but this was before the Glen Allen and DC area superchargers. This and the prospect of being locked in the car with my kids for 10 hours dissuaded me, so flew instead. I pass through Hillsborough all the time on my way to Durham, keep an eye out for my Blue!

I saw a green MS parked outside at RDU today, maybe that was you. Interestingly, I've seen a MS there each of the last several times I've parked at RDU!

Wasn't me, mine has yet to go to RDU. Green isn't a common color on the Model S, thought I've seen two others since receiving mine. I have yet to see the elusive brown though, still waiting to see one of those.

- - - Updated - - -

Great read!

I suppose you and your dad took turns at driving?

How is it to nap in the car, can the seats go back and comfy enough to take a nap?

Actually, I drove the whole way because, shhhh, my father sucks at driving. I told him he could drive it after the first oil change. The excitement of my first long distance electric road trip combined with the fact that each "destination" along the way was relatively close and a mandatory stop for a minimum of 15 minutes, made the trip very driveable.