Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Northern California Hiway 101 Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at previous threads, most of which are somewhat elderly, I infer there's not a lot of good charging options for those who might venture off I-5 in Northern CA. I note the Benbow Inn has a picture of a Tesla charging; I've emailed them to find if it's possible to reserve a spot along with a room. And there are various Walmart-type places along the way, too. I'm wondering, though, if anyone has done the trip more recently and has any updated suggestions for anxiety-free travel along the scenic route.

I realize there are RV park options, and that's reassuring in a pinch. But, being old-ish folks, I'm not too sanguine about tenting our way down the coast. Anyone just stop and charge at RV parks? I guess it'd take four hours or so to get a decent load of electrons, and I can only play cards for about a half hour.

I'd guess diving on and off supercharger sites would work, too. Any input appreciated!!

Arcata has a free 14-50 and a Chargepoint J1772.
Caltrans in Eureka also has a free J-1772
C st at the waterfront in downtown Eureka has a chargepoint J-1772

Grants Pass SC to Eureka is no problem. need <200 mi range or rated (~170mi) if you keep @ the speed limit the entire way (and I always recommend taking Prairie Creek instead of the bypass just South of Klamath River)

hitting the coast earlier than 199 I am not too sure about. there are RV places but it would take some time. From Eureka to the South SF area takes about 2 -1/2 hr charging because of the hills

Benbow has yummy stuff and the owners are very nice + it is on the eel river-14-50 in the front also RV park with some more across 101 (same owners) but summer it is packed

Hopland has 2 14-50s and they are free @ the solar living center.

and having twin chargers you could stop in San Rafael at service for a bit of a charge bump down that way too

Clos Du Bois has J1772s and free wine tasting to EV owners charging there.

If you wanted to take 1 out to the coast there is supposedly a 14-50 in Fort Brag at the north coast Brewery and some tourist things in Fort Brag around that area but it is a bit of a trip out there on 1 and back on 20 or 128. Also taking 1 out, it is a very windy road. coming back 20 is pretty windy too and if you take 128 you miss the 14-50 in Hopland. there are slow J1772s south of there but 14-50 is much better for your time.

If you wanted to stay in the Humboldt Bay area for a night and take 199 in and 36 out you can use superchargers on I-5 the whole way down except overnight in the Hum area.

Last edited:
Looking at previous threads, most of which are somewhat elderly, I infer there's not a lot of good charging options for those who might venture off I-5 in Northern CA. I note the Benbow Inn has a picture of a Tesla charging; I've emailed them to find if it's possible to reserve a spot along with a room. And there are various Walmart-type places along the way, too. I'm wondering, though, if anyone has done the trip more recently and has any updated suggestions for anxiety-free travel along the scenic route.

To add to the list by Zextraterrestrial, there's a Super 8 in Ukiah which is listed on Plugshare, with a HPWC. The manager is super EV interested, will not charge money even if you aren't staying overnight.

When I drove BC (before chargers), we charged at motels that had 14-50s (yeah, lots of phone calls) and then just topped up a couple hours on the way the next day at RV parks (google "50 amp RV parks near..."). If not doing freeways, you can get in a lot of miles and tourism.