Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most Original Miles with no Public Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I have had my MS60 for 5 weeks now and I have about 2,000 miles on it. I have yet to public-charge. Besides the factory and service center original charges, I have only charged at home so far. I'm curious who has the most home-charged-only original miles on their odometer.

I'm sure there are people with more, but it would be interesting to keep a contest going and see who can be at the top of this little "competition".

I have had my MS60 for 5 weeks now and I have about 2,000 miles on it. I have yet to public-charge. Besides the factory and service center original charges, I have only charged at home so far. I'm curious who has the most home-charged-only original miles on their odometer.

I'm sure there are people with more, but it would be interesting to keep a contest going and see who can be at the top of this little "competition".

so, have you never gone on a trip in your car?
don't like it or what?
:tongue:

Does "public-charge" also include Tesla superchargers? If not, I had over 14,000 miles driven and 13 months of ownership before using a public (non-Tesla) charger. Otherwise, no record of my first non home/service center charge.

For the sake of this contest, let's consider SuperCharges as being public. I'd like to see who put the most miles with at-home charging only.

@OP
If you want some real competition, you might want to loop in the Leaf, Volt, and plug-in Prius owners. I'm sure many of them treat their cars as small range city cars, and likely don't plan to charge away from home for the lifetime of the vehicle.

Continuous, or overall?
I have used one public charger once to get about 15 miles. I have also used superchargers.
Overall, I have driven about 32,500 miles on home charging, 15 on public charging and about 4800 on superchargers.
Mileage before I first used public charging (or superchargers) somewhere in the 23,000 to 25,000 range.

From my purchase in mid-November 2012 until mid-May 2014 and about 13,800 miles charging was only done in my garage and at the service center. In mid-May 2014 I took my first trip outside of Atlanta to Augusta GA and used an RV park there and then 120 volt charging at the hotel for the rest of the stay. Since then I made an early June 2014 trip to Savannah and got to utilize the Superchargers twice each in both Macon and Savannah.

Continuous, or overall?
I have used one public charger once to get about 15 miles. I have also used superchargers.
Overall, I have driven about 32,500 miles on home charging, 15 on public charging and about 4800 on superchargers.
Mileage before I first used public charging (or superchargers) somewhere in the 23,000 to 25,000 range.

I wanted it to be overall with 100% home charging. It's nice to see some big numbers on home-charging alone. Most people I talk to about my car assume that you need to charge at public stations and they are pleasantly surprised to find-out that you can charge at home. I have to admit, I thought the same thing before I looked-into and bought my Model S.

@OP
If you want some real competition, you might want to loop in the Leaf, Volt, and plug-in Prius owners. I'm sure many of them treat their cars as small range city cars, and likely don't plan to charge away from home for the lifetime of the vehicle.

Well, I have a Leaf and use it as a city car (of course). But I charge 1/3 of my miles on public charging. In my area it is free so really hard not to take free when it is convenient. One of my work places has a public charger so of course I arrive there with much less than a full tank. My local McDs with a play area for the kids has a charger and it is across the street from Lowes when I am feeling particularly cheap and need to browse something there.

I wanted it to be overall with 100% home charging. It's nice to see some big numbers on home-charging alone. Most people I talk to about my car assume that you need to charge at public stations and they are pleasantly surprised to find-out that you can charge at home. I have to admit, I thought the same thing before I looked-into and bought my Model S.

There really aren't many people that drive more than 150 miles per day. Sure, there are a few, but not many.
I wasn't sure how much I drove before I started buying EVs. I did know the statistics that most people drive 40 miles or less each day.
As we started living with one EV in the family, we got a better handle on our daily mileage.
The one time I did use public charging was because I was purposely pushing the limit and knew lots of chargers were available. I was scouting out a future supercharger location.
So even that use was unnecessary.

I'm the OP. Looks like I'm out of the running on this. We took a 100 mile (each way) trip last weekend and, while we could have made it home without a problem, we decided to stop at a mall with a Cheesecake Factory and Tesla store (Short Hills, NJ) so I couldn't resist plugging-in and adding that 50-mile cushion. What's odd is that I was only able to get 30A/16MPH out of their NEMA 14-50. There were two adjacent outlets and another car was charging on the other so perhaps they were sharing the load? I moved to the HPWC and got my 40A but it was only 198V so it was 24MPH instead of the 29MPH I get at home on my 240V/40A outlet. A little disappointed, but how can I complain when it was free.

One other interesting observation is that when I pushed the button on the connector to open the charge port, the charge ports on the other cars opened as well (there were a few cars not charging). I didn't expect it to have that much range. In the future, I will open the port with the touchscreen instead when there's other Teslas around.