Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else hate the sloped back of the Model X? It just seems like lost space and an attempt to make it more "sporty" which ends up coming off as a slightly less gaudy BMW X6? I'd rather have the rear just be straighter with more room...

Does anyone else hate the sloped back of the Model X? It just seems like lost space and an attempt to make it more "sporty" which ends up coming off as a slightly less gaudy BMW X6? I'd rather have the rear just be straighter with more room...

Personally I like it. Probably the slope is as much related to Cd requirements to maximize range as it is to design aesthetics.
I think it looks great and dido on what Nigel said.

This is what I don't want it to look like. I saw this last night at the grocery store and went, wow the Model X certainly looks amazing compared to this. I wouldn't even want to get caught dead in that!

IMG_0936.JPG

Ah the perennial Honda Odyssey - weird design for weirdness sake

We own a Town and Country - which is a box, but an innoffensive one. I'd rather have the space personally and just have the rear be similar to maybe the Audi Q5?
2010_audi_q5-pic-3143333706180982651.png

Aerodynamic efficiency is essential; especially if they are trying to make good on the promise that the (larger) Model X's range will be comparable to Model S, without bumping the pack capacity. I'll be interested in seeing what the Cd finally turns out to be. Model S is pretty slippery to begin with.

I don't mind what the back looked like in the concept vehicle and the concept images on the tesla website. But that is exactly what they are... concept. Musk has recently stated the production model will differ in many ways from the original concept (some maybe more noticeable than others), but only in a way to make the end product vastly superior to the concept (which he says in fact it does)

Therefore, what we end up getting may have a different look/shape on the back end, all in an effort to maximize efficiency and keep up with impeccable styling that we have come to expect from Tesla. Until they roll out the official production model to the public, it's anyone's guess. It could look very similar to what we have seen in the past, or they could surprise us with an updated design.

Either way, I'm hoping for a close mile range to the S (10% less efficient or less) if they keep with the 60kw and 85kw batteries. That trumps any aesthetic design IMO

Yeah, that cut off on the trunk just keeps bothering me. Plus, since it is unlikely that you will be able to use a roof rack given the falcon doors (which are cool but completely not nearly practica), I would like to maximize my storage space...

"Whether it be the sweeping eagle in his flight, or the open apple-blossom, the toiling work-horse, the blithe swan, the branching oak, the winding stream at its base, the drifting clouds, over all the coursing sun, form ever follows function, and this is the law. Where function does not change, form does not change. The granite rocks, the ever-brooding hills, remain for ages; the lightning lives, comes into shape, and dies, in a twinkling.
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things superhuman, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, that form ever follows function. This is the law." -Louis Sullivan

TL;DR Aerodynamics kicks fashion's butt any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Aerodynamic efficiency is essential; especially if they are trying to make good on the promise that the (larger) Model X's range will be comparable to Model S, without bumping the pack capacity. I'll be interested in seeing what the Cd finally turns out to be. Model S is pretty slippery to begin with.

The tear drop or streamlined body has the lowest Cd. A cube is 1.05, and a tear drop is 0.04; that sloping back can gain a lot of aerodynamic efficiency! From Drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Cd Examples.png

You know, a cool future projectn for the company might be an ultra-efficient long distance cruiser. Something with "Streamlined Body" shape above and low rolling resistance tires might have pretty incredible highway range. Since the BEV engineering doesn't require a hood, and a battery pack made of small cells could be shaped however one wanted, it might be that there is a lot of low hanging fruit for efficiency. I get that a lot of people don't want a weird looking EV now, but as acceptance grows, perhaps a massive decrease in aero efficiency would tempt people away from ICE styled bodies.

The Model X already has more seating and storage capacity than any other vehicle in its class... And more than some that are in a larger class. There is no wasted space in its design. Plus, there's a frunk! And falcon wing doors!

There are gozillions of other vehicles that can accommodate a roof rack. The best of those are the Honda Odyssey, Chevrolet Suburban, and Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon. Two are gas guzzlers and the other is a minivan. Take your pick.

I hope that with the issues that some have brought up with the Tesla Model S 2nd & 3rd row seating, that they will be a bit more astute about climate control options in the Model X. You might consider posting your concerns in the Tesla Forums:

Worried about Model X Seating

Second Row Bench

Does the Glass Window Roll Down?

Rear Windows on MX?

It's pretty standard for 3rd row vehicles to have some kind of rear climate control (especially in the class of Audi, MB, BMW - Heck, our Journey has it). I would hope this is worked into the X. Are we able to see any evidence of this from some of the internal shots of the X at one of the car shows?