Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denver Supercharger ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is very mysterious indeed. http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/denver/

Anyone heard any rumors lately ? A Park Meadows store employee told me a few months ago they were "studying" the usage of the Park Meadows "temporary" charger, and looking for a location permanently. You would think that by the time the snow flies, there might be a solution for westbound I-70 out of Limon. Expecting people to go the Park Meadows in the middle of winter, with Christmas shoppers and everything else going on, is not workable. Without a reload, with snow a westbound 60kwH might make it halfway up the hill.
:confused:

I would agree that expecting I-70 travelers to go all the way down to Park Meadows for a Super Charger at any time of the year (much less during the holiday shopping season) is not a very good plan. It is a good 25-30 miles round trip from I-70 to Park Meadows and back, and that drive can take a long time, depending on traffic.

Considering the close proximity superchargers in other major metro areas, and given the "hill", makes sense to me to add one there.

It is a similar situation to Seattle. If one is coming from Vancouver (as we do all the time) the trip from the Burlington, WA supercharger to Ellensburg would be a stretch for an S60 in winter. Tesla is therefore, and for other reasons) planning a supercharger near the terminus of I-90, right in Seattle.

Absolutely, Glenn. Can you imagine the family in the Model S leaving Limon at 2pm on a Friday for the condo check-in in Copper Mountain ? Might get through Denver in three hours.... then hit I-70 for another three.
A SC around Golden would save at least an hour versus Lone Tree. Can't imagine anything in the CityCenter along I-70 would be appropriate for Tesla. Possibly a hotel at the airport exit, but that's only 75 miles from Limon. Golden is 100.
Guessing game again ...

- - - Updated - - -

Considering the close proximity superchargers in other major metro areas, and given the "hill", makes sense to me to add one there.

It is a similar situation to Seattle. If one is coming from Vancouver (as we do all the time) the trip from the Burlington, WA supercharger to Ellensburg would be a stretch for an S60 in winter. Tesla is therefore, and for other reasons) planning a supercharger near the terminus of I-90, right in Seattle.

Good information. Maybe we will hear something soon.

Tesla might argue that someone should go west from Limon to Castle Rock and then Lone Tree (on Hwy 86 to I-25 North), then take C470 up to I-70 West. I think a SC in Golden, or north of Denver on I-25 would be a better idea for most travelers.

Besides. the Super Charger at Park Meadows is pretty cramped, and too close to the mall itself to make it convenient for travelers.

What, charging my Model S? That's the whole point.

Sorry, I'm well aware of the purpose of the Super Chargers. Call me spoiled, but it's just nice being able to quickly top off so close to home, if necessary.

While that's nice and well within your rights having paid for access why would you need to if you have charging at home?

Topping off is at a rate of ~20kw/ hour average over the last 1/2 hour at the supercharger for a full charge. At $.10 per Kwh you are likely paying at your home you are saving about $4.00 per hour for your wait at the supercharger. Most will find that their time is more valuable. But people do crazy things when it is free!

Sorry, when is it necessary to top off close to home?

Sorry, "top off" was a bad choice of words. It's rare, but only when I need a charge faster than what I can get at home right now. I do a ton of commuting. So when I come home empty, but am heading back out in a couple hours, sometimes dropping the car at the SC and grabbing a bite to eat is more time efficient. 120 miles of charge only takes 15 minutes. If you've been to the "retail resort" that is Park Meadows, you know how much there is to eat/do nearby. I probably charge there once or twice a week on average, just for convenience.

Also, I don't have a HPWC or even a NEMA 14-50 at home. I use a NEMA 10-30 dryer port, which only charges 18 miles/hour. Perfect for overnight charging, but not for quick turnaround. I'm sure I'll give in eventually, but running the 50 amp line for a NEMA 14-50 would require an additional breaker box, wiring around the entire house- around $1500. Yes, I realize how much the car cost.

- - - Updated - - -
Topping off is at a rate of ~20kw/ hour average over the last 1/2 hour at the supercharger for a full charge. At $.10 per Kwh you are likely paying at your home you are saving about $4.00 per hour for your wait at the supercharger. Most will find that their time is more valuable. But people do crazy things when it is free!

Agreed- $4/hr is well below my going rate. But I never top off there. 30 minutes, max.

Last edited:
I would be pretty surprised if Tesla removed the Park Meadows SC. There would be a cost to remove the equipment, and I am sure there would be some complaints from Tesla owners. Plus, some idiot on Seeking Alpha would probably write an article about how a SC was removed from the network, and try to prove how that means Tesla demand is slipping...

I like this rumor. I'm a fan of Hampton Inns (very consistent, very quiet, not too pricey)

As a cross country veteran, I did not like stopping in at that mall. On the way back through I stopped in at the Denver service center for tire rotation and they thought it was a bit odd that I'd rather wait 1 1/2 hours or so to top off at the service center instead of going back to the mall. But it ended up being much easier that way.

I heard a rumor that the Denver Supercharger would be at a Hampton Inn. The Hampton Inn in Golden seems to be in a golden location for Tesla drivers arriving from the north, east, or south to gather many Joules before climbing up the Rockies to the west.

Hampton Inn, Golden, CO - Google Maps

I would be pretty surprised if Tesla removed the Park Meadows SC. There would be a cost to remove the equipment, and I am sure there would be some complaints from Tesla owners. Plus, some idiot on Seeking Alpha would probably write an article about how a SC was removed from the network, and try to prove how that means Tesla demand is slipping...

I feel like the Park Meadows SC is more about marketing than function, which is great for Tesla. I mean, you're literally parked in front-row reserved spaces at a retail resort in one of the highest income areas in the country. Every time I charge there, tons of people walk by, point, ask how I like it, etc. Besides having their store inside, it's just brilliant product placement right by the VIP/valet entrance to the mall. I know this curiosity leads to test drives, and 1 in 4 test drives lead to a purchase.

I imagine that they have a contract with the mall to lease that space for a certain amount of time, but I don't see it going away anytime soon.

The map appears to show a Supercharger coming near Colorado Springs which will be good for us who are headed to Sante Fe from the northern reaches (Boulder/Ft Collins). I'd leave the Park Meadows SC for out-of-towners who need to pickup a quick charge while they are tooling around town. Hopefully locals will upgrade their home charging setups to the level needed to accomodate their driving habits, so all inner city superchargers will remain open and available to those that are far from home, or for those locals that suffer a temporary failure of their UMC or HPWC's.

The map appears to show a Supercharger coming near Colorado Springs which will be good for us who are headed to Sante Fe from the northern reaches (Boulder/Ft Collins). I'd leave the Park Meadows SC for out-of-towners who need to pickup a quick charge while they are tooling around town. Hopefully locals will upgrade their home charging setups to the level needed to accomodate their driving habits, so all inner city superchargers will remain open and available to those that are far from home, or for those locals that suffer a temporary failure of their UMC or HPWC's.

Totally agree. Nothing worse than traveling and getting ICEd or not having a space available to charge. It's happened to me before. When I stop by to use it, it's usually in the off-hours when several spaces are open. I've given up a space for travelers before for out of curtosy. I've seen several shoppers just parked at the SC and unplugged because the spaces are so close to the mall. In addition, the Tesla store there uses 1-2 spaces at any given time for their test drive vehicles, so you may want to chase after them before you go after the locals. It's an interesting location.

I heard a rumor that the Denver Supercharger would be at a Hampton Inn. The Hampton Inn in Golden seems to be in a golden location for Tesla drivers arriving from the north, east, or south to gather many Joules before climbing up the Rockies to the west.

Hampton Inn, Golden, CO - Google Maps

Indeed, this would be the perfect intersection of all routes, and a relatively new hotel. No County permit activity found at this location on Colfax. But I believe this parcel was annexed by the City of Golden. Yes, it's City. Checked 7/9/14 and no City permits have been pulled for this property either .....

Last edited:

I'm definitely in the minority of Model S owners, but I'm an apartment renter. My house in Scottsdale is on the market (with solar panels and a beautiful NEMA 14-50) and I don't plan to buy until I've been in Denver for at least a year. My apartment building put in a NEMA 14-30 (I had requested the 14-50...). It's enough for most situations, but it's far from ideal. It also seems to trip the circuit regularly and they haven't figured out why. It's frustrating when I wake up to under 100 miles of range when I expected 170 (where I have my limit set on my S 60).

I certainly utilize the Park Meadows Supercharger, and my fingers are crossed because I live very close to the Hampton Inn at I-25 and Speer.