Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in the Branson, MO area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are going to be in Branson next week and would love to take our Model S. Unfortunately, when we contacted the Table Rock Camp Ground which is near the hotel where we will be staying to enquire about charging for a few hours during the day when we will be renting a boat from the marina they refused (even though we offered to pay the full camping fee) saying that the spots are reserved only for RVs. This is of course their right; but, it is disappointing and doesn't make a lot of business sense. We would only be charging there during the morning when we have reserved a boat and then they could rent the spot out again to an RV in the afternoon.

Has anyone else charged there at the Table Rock Campground? Do you have any suggestions on a specific host who we might contact? Or, do you have any suggestions on other charging options in the Branson area?

If our friends hadn't already made reservations for us at another hotel, we would stay at the Big Cedar Lodge as I know they have a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

My place in Nixa is on the way to/from Branson and I have a HPWC wired to 100amp service. You're welcome to top up there. There are a million other RV parks in the area you might try as well, though none that I have heard with any certainty that will allow charging.

Well, you could call back and say you have a "small RV" that you would like to reserve a space for, for a day. I would certainly say my Tesla is "Recreational" and I know it qualifies as a vehicle :tongue:. But in all seriousness I'm not sure what their complaint is. If your a paying customer just like anyone else who would use the spot whats the problem? Maybe they have a minimum stay policy they didn't articulate very well? Maybe just try being a bit more vague about why you wish to reserve a spot and see what the minimum time is that they will let you have it?

I am also fully aware this is not the preferred course of action. Ideally you would be upfront about everything and find a different campground in the area that would be willing to do business with you. But if you did get a reservation under non-ideal circumstances, who knows! Once they are exposed to EV's charging on their grounds they might find out it's not so bad?

There are plenty of campgrounds with 50 amp service, you'll just have to call around a bit. I charge at our vacation club while there, that may not be of consolation to you.

Road trip to Branson went great.

Only had a few minor issues. When charging at the J1772 outlet behind the Springfield Environmental Resources Center my car went to sleep and wouldn't wake up. I tried rebooting the screens, stepping on the brake, nothing worked. I called Tesla and immediately got a representative on the phone who had me step out of the car, lock it, unlock it, and get back in. Woke up and had no issues after that. I turned off the sleep mode just to be sure.

Then, while charging at the Branson KOA overflow lot my car would start charging and 5-10 minutes later trip the circuit breaker. I was charging at 40 amps on two different 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlets. So, I turned the amps down to 30 and no longer had the issue of the circuit breaker interrupting charging.

I charged on a 110 outlet at the Marriott the rest of the time. Worked great to top off the range used during day trips.