Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Simplified Roadster Lift Adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I don't believe you can still purchase lift adapters from Tesla. I have created a CAD drawing of a simplified adapter. It attaches to the car the same way the Tesla one does, but doesn't have moving parts.

According to the owner's manual, you must first remove the rear pan from the bottom of the Roadster. Then you use two lift adapters, which lock into two alignment holes in the frame. Here's the relevant page from the owner's manual:

adapterusage.jpg

I've put together an experimental design for a simplified adapter. The original adapter had this spring and lock mechanism, which is supposed to help you guide the locating pin into the chassis. From what I've heard it's not all that helpful. Instead, the procedure for the modified adapter is to lift the rear of the car slightly using a shop jack, line things up, and gently bring the car down on top the adapters, carefully re-checking the alignment as you gradually lower it.

pic.jpg

Here's a preliminary drawing package (USE AT OWN RISK - EXPERIMENTAL - NO WARRANTY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED):

http://www.teslaflux.com/Adapter.zip

Please remember this is experimental. I haven't built them yet, but I do plan to make a set and try it out. Also you may need to modify the bottom of the adapter to work with your lift.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewski
Simplified Roadster Lift Adapters Part deux

Taking page from Doug_G

*** USE AT OWN RISK - EXPERIMENTAL - NO WARRANTY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED ***

This is even a more basic design, I've built and used these, but I think Doug_G version is better than mine, also I think the top tip should be a little longer in my version for easier placement guide.

Capture.PNG

The file can be opened in eMachineShop to view/edit/order the part, eMachineShop is free software.

Note this only fits the Dannmar MaxJax 2 post car lift.

Attachments

• V1.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 114
Yeah I considered doing that, but I thought it would be safer to have a steel alignment peg. Paranoid I guess.

I thought it best to merge these into one thread, so people can easily find both and build the design of their choice.

Agreed good idea to merge into one thread.

What I mean about the alignment peg, is that my version, I found out can be longer, and I would have preferred to have it about 1/3 longer, as it would have made it somewhat easier to use.

btw I made two sets, all out of 6061 aluminum.

Last edited:
Good point about the index pin. Mine is a bit longer. In fact, it's actually a product sold as an index pin. I decided I wanted to use a steel pin for strength, mainly for paranoia's sake. That's the way the original adapter was built.

• Disagree
Reactions: PV-EV
Good point about the index pin. Mine is a bit longer. In fact, it's actually a product sold as an index pin. I decided I wanted to use a steel pin for strength, mainly for paranoia's sake. That's the way the original adapter was built.

Ah I see what your saying now,
Good idea for extra strength for lateral movement, as weight can shift if you remove/add ~1,100 pound ESS while it's being supported in the air with these things :)

Pretend there was a new Roadster owner who's got no idea what this is all about - how would you explain this to such a person, if they existed and were asking this question?

Haha, basically these adapters are needed for putting the roadster on a 2 post lift due to the unequal weight distribution in the design of the car (the batteries in back) and the geometry of the chassis (recessed lift points in the rear). These adapters serve as spacers on one of the lift arms to give a solid hold on the vehicle while it is lifted.

Tesla doesn't sell them any longer and a few on here have done some 3D models of such an object so that others can take that 3D model to a machine shop and have them "custom" made.

Pretend there was a new Roadster owner who's got no idea what this is all about - how would you explain this to such a person, if they existed and were asking this question?

If you want to service your car using a four point hydraulic lift, you'll need spacers for the two rear lift points. The adapters align with guide holes in the car's frame and keep the car level on the lift.

Maybe this hypothetical person knows this by now (I'm sure you know:smile:) but I have to say it... If you put your Roadster on a 4-point lift using the 4 marked lift points under the car, you will most likely have an experience you'll never forget. That experience will allow you to see what a totaled Roadster looks like.

Using different rear lift points with the lift adapters that are the subject of this thread will enable you to safely put your car on a lift.