Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner/ 2 questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if these have been covered elsewhere but I did a quick search and didn't find:

How do I stop navigation before I've reached destination. I've tried saying "stop navigation", "end navigation", etc but none of those commands work.

Does applying the brake result in regenerative braking or add to the regenerative braking of simply taking your foot off the accelerator? IE: If I was coasting in neutral and applied the brake, would RB kick in?

In the NAV window on the touchscreen you can just tap "Cancel" to end Navigation.

Applying the brake will still use a bit of RB. The strongest use of RB will happen when you take your foot off the accelerator but before you apply the brake. By pressing the brake pedal, the braking force is split between regenerative and the traditional brakes. Which results in a lower amount of regeneration. Watch the energy gauge on the right hand of the instrument cluster. The green bar will show how much regen is being used and when you apply the brake pedal you will see the amount of regen decrease and get closer to the 0 mark.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your Model S!

The regen is based on the accelerator only. Applying brakes is just applying brakes. And I wouldn't fool around with neutral at speed, you can just keep accelerator at the right spot if you want to use zero power.

Dunno about the voice commands. Try "cancel nav" perhaps?

Does applying the brake result in regenerative braking or add to the regenerative braking of simply taking your foot off the accelerator?
No. All of the regeneration is on the accelerator pedal. The effect of this is that there is no transition point between regenerative braking and friction braking the way there is in some other cars.

IE: If I was coasting in neutral and applied the brake, would RB kick in?
1. Don't coast in neutral--there is absolutely no need to do this. (Check out the Wh/mi thread. My numbers are fairly low without resorting to coasting in neutral.) I don't want to hear that you're the next driver in a Tesla to run down a family in a Toyota. even if the chances of this happening are very low.

2. Regenerative braking is dependent upon the motor being engaged. It's not engaged in neutral.

Thanks for your replays (Although JVC said that pressing the brake pedal DOES produce some RG and others said it produces none). Guess I'll go with the majority on this.
BTW, I didn't plan to brake in neutral as a practice. I was clarifying my question...IE: If the accelerator is not a factor at all (car is in neutral), would applying the brake produce any RG?

Thanks for your replays (Although JVC said that pressing the brake pedal DOES produce some RG and others said it produces none). Guess I'll go with the majority on this.
BTW, I didn't plan to brake in neutral as a practice. I was clarifying my question...IE: If the accelerator is not a factor at all (car is in neutral), would applying the brake produce any RG?

no.