Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really off-topic -- question about BMWs and staggered wheels/tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tapping the automotive knowledge base here about something that just happened to us:

My g/f has a 2009 BMW 335i convertible with the sport package. It has staggered wheels/tires -- it has 225/40/18 on the front, and 255/35/18 on the rear. I don't know for sure, but for now, I am assuming all four wheels are the same size.

She has been taking it to the local dealer to have her winter/summer wheels/tires swapped each season. This morning before she left on a long trip (about 300 miles each way), I went out to check her tire pressures. The fronts seemed a little high (39 psi) and the rears a little low (38 psi). The fronts should be 35psi and the rears 42psi.

Upon further review, apparently the dealer decided to rotate the wheels/tires, and put the rears on the front, and the fronts on the rear. We will deal with the dealer when she gets back in a week, but my really important question, is what are the risks of running this configuration during her trip? Is it unsafe? I understand it may handle differently, but she's not really a driver who will notice. I'm more concerned about her safety and any risks of damage to the car.

Thanks.

plus with the wider tires in the front, smaller in the rear, the car is more subject to oversteer...which for more people is a bit harder to handle. Might not do it a lot but that really is a bone headed mistake by the dealer and should be corrected asap.

The front tires may not clear the wheel wells in a shock compressed and wheel turned configuration. I would put the tires back to the original staggard position prior to letting her continue on the trip.

Thanks for the reply -- it's too late to fix today -- she had to leave for her trip and there's no place to get them swapped early on a Sunday morning. Maybe I'll get her to get them swapped at a local garage at her destination before returning.