Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to take 2nd key fob on trip as a backup. Where can I put it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this exact problem on a recent solo trip. I kept the extra fob in my computer bag in my hotel rooms along the trip. But for those times between hotels and when I left the car, I had to take both fobs with me. At one point at Cedar Point, I had checked out of the hotel in the AM and spent the day at the park, I went back later to the hotel to use the pool, and all I took was my bathing suit and both fobs. I changed in the hotel and went to the pool and left both fobs inside my shoes. I sure would like to find some solution to keeping a backup fob in the car but still be able to lock it up.

The simplest thing is to take the battery out of the keyfob, and hide it in the car (glove compartment, rear footwell etc). If you lose you main keyfob, you can unlock the Model S with the iPhone/Android app, retrieve the keyfob and insert the battery. You will not be stranded, and you have your backup.

P.S. Removing the battery is very simple, just notced you don't want to do that, but really it is the most reliable way to get it done. You can also hide the battery in a different location than the fob, if you want it more secure.

I read on another thread that empty tiin from some "Altoids" candy works well. I have kept the extra fob in the Frunk in a Altoids box with no interference from it. The back of the Frunk is also another reported dead zone.

Don't forget. Its also a good idea to take a couple of spare 2032 batteries in your car. I have one taped on the underside of my cubby. Sure you can open a door without it, but its nice to be forward thinking and have one ready. Just in case.

I haven't received my car yet. But what is the issue with keeping one of the keys in the car? You can't lock it? Or if someone breaks in they can drive away?
just want to understand so I can avoid doing stupid things...

Spare batteries are far more important that spare fobs. Otherwise the remove the battery from the spare fob and put it somewhere--in or out of the car makes no difference as long as the batteries are not kept with the fob. (e.g., the spare batteries belong in your pocket).

The main issue is if you have a loaded fob in the car, anyone will be able drive away with it, and anyone capable of a google search will find where the dead zones are (and you can't be 100% certain that the dead zones are always dead).

Spare batteries are far more important that spare fobs. Otherwise the remove the battery from the spare fob and put it somewhere--in or out of the car makes no difference as long as the batteries are not kept with the fob. (e.g., the spare batteries belong in your pocket).

The main issue is if you have a loaded fob in the car, anyone will be able drive away with it, and anyone capable of a google search will find where the dead zones are (and you can't be 100% certain that the dead zones are always dead).
Probably worth noting that an "educated" thief could easily find out the type of battery and buy (or steal) one himself to put in the otherwise empty fob. That is why it is more important to hide the fob well than the battery.