Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - South Hill, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

techmaven

Feb 27, 2013
I spoke with the town manager of South Hill and he confirmed that the town has approved Tesla's plans for a Supercharger. They are waiting for Tesla to select subcontractors and apply for the necessary permits. The location, assuming no changes, is going to be at:

Kahill's Restaurant & Bar
1791 N Mecklenburg Ave
South Hill, VA 23970

https://goo.gl/maps/HDpa9

I stopped by there on the way home to Richmond and took these pictures:

IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG

SouthHillPanorama.jpg

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Very nice. This might get me to stop my range charges in Glen Allen, VA when heading to Burlington, NC... although depending on the time of day, if I'm eating in Glen Allen I'd probably end up skipping this stop. Glen Allen to Burlington used 250-ish rated miles (using I-85) when it was 30F outside, so, probably a good winter stop.

This is great. Last time I traveled from Cary NC to NJ using i85 first leg, and didn't make it with my S60 (180 miles apart) so on the way back, I have to stop by Rocky Mount SC which is a detour. Now I'm all set with South Hill. Thanks techmaven for the info.

Very nice. This might get me to stop my range charges in Glen Allen, VA when heading to Burlington, NC... although depending on the time of day, if I'm eating in Glen Allen I'd probably end up skipping this stop. Glen Allen to Burlington used 250-ish rated miles (using I-85) when it was 30F outside, so, probably a good winter stop.

Definitely a needed winter stop between the two. I found myself below the speed limit of 70mph to bridge the gap during November and April (more a headwind and rain issue in April).

A little different from the typical Supercharger hotel/strip mall location. What's the restaurant like?

I didn't stop in. Looks nice enough from the pictures on Yelp. We were already full from our stop in Burlington (range charge) and we were a bit anxious to get home.

When I communicated with the Town Manager back in May, she indicated that they were planning on 6-8 stalls.

If you are talking about Kim Callis, the town manager, he's a guy. Apparently the confusion is common when I spoke to him. He was very enthusiastic about having Tesla's Supercharger in his town. Here's part of what I shared with him back in May to hopefully help with the planning process:

Of particular concerns for Tesla owners is for a location that ideally provides food and bathroom on a 24/7 basis and where the chargers themselves are unlikely to be occupied by internal combustion engine powered vehicles. We are likely to be there a little while, from 15 to 45 minutes so both food and shopping would be pleasant distractions. Needless to say, safety is also a priority for us. We also look forward to a future where the Supercharger is powered by the sun with a solar photovoltaic array.

In essence, this Supercharger makes South Hill almost a required stop for Tesla owners driving through and should provide a terrific economic benefit for the town as more and more Tesla vehicles hit the road.

I and other Tesla owners look forward to the progress of this Supercharger. Each Supercharger installation is often monitored by an international audience, as it affects both Tesla owners that will utilize the charger and speaks to the health of the overall effort that Tesla is trying to achieve with sustainable transport. Do not be surprised if you see Tesla owners dropping by to check the progress and on some occasions, owners have flown drones to show the area for this audience.

Thanks in advance for your and your staff's efforts to facilitate the installation of this charger.