Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-Ender accident in Palmdale - 7/4/14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a different incident so maybe we need another thread?

Maybe, though some more info came out and with the risk of sounding a little insensitive and proposing a conspiracy theory but since the media does it I might as well.

Has anyone noticed a disproportional high speed impacts into Hondas?

Prior to this new story, I was hoping that it would not be a Honda and guess what, new info comes out and the high speed impact is yet into another Honda.

Three Family Members Dead After Tesla Crash in Palmdale | NBC Southern California

So is most of the cars in the US Hondas? Or is it once the Tesla Model S goes over a certain speed it becomes Honda seeking?

For those that don't remember the first Honda incident:

Head-on collision in Laguna Beach kills 2, closes road - Los Angeles Times

/end conspiracy

But on a serious note, these kind of events 24 hours from each other is really really sad :(

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed a disproportional high speed impacts into Hondas?

So is most of the cars in the US Hondas? Or is it once the Tesla Model S goes over a certain speed it becomes Honda seeking?

American Honda Motors is headquartered in Torrance, CA. It would not surprise me if California had a disproportionate number of Hondas on the road compared to other states. Also, California weather is more hospitable towards older Honda vehicles (1996 and before), because there's not much wintertime road salt to corrode the vehicle. There are going to be a lot of old Hondas around, because the engines are often good for 200k or even 300k and beyond miles.

While a new Honda is fairly beefy in terms of structural safety, with heavy pillars, force-dispersing passenger cell design, and high-strength steel construction, an old Honda will not deal with punishment very well. The old ones feel like tin cans on wheels. Old Toyotas are about the same. They stand no chance against a Tesla or other heavy luxury passenger vehicle.

Crazy weekend out in Cali ��

sad, tough weekend for these families.

if these numbers were done right, July 3rd, and 4th each individually are nearly as dangerous on the road as New Year's day in the U.S. Apparently, summer in general has a substantially increased rate of fatal accidents (fwiw, the link just says accidents, but judging by the numbers, I think the stats are for fatal accidents, not simply all accidents).

Fun With NHTSA Stats: The Safest/Most Dangerous Days To Drive

This is a terrible accident which I cannot even imagine the grief of these families. Channel 4 news here in Southern California is reporting the 40 year Toyota driver, two boys ages 8 and 15 did not survive. A six year old boy and 31 year old man were pulled from the car with injuries. The six year is reported in critical condition.

They are reporting the driver of the Model S as Rick Garrison of Newhall. In addition they are stating he was not intoxicated. Is he a member of TMC?

I know that little can be said to assuage the anguish of those involved in this terrible accident. I offer my hopes and prayers.