Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Opens By Itself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I have a problem.

The first time it happened I just assumed I must have bumped it or obstructed it somehow and didn't notice it reversing back open as I walked away.... No idea if it beeps when interfered with or not (I'll have to try that next time I'm out there). It sat open in relative's driveway ALL NIGHT with luggage and a camera exposed. Nothing stolen or tampered with, luckily. That was 2 weeks ago (and about 2 weeks after delivery).

Tonight I KNOW I pushed the button on the hatch and closed it... and I KNOW it was closed, because I walked out for some fresh air and looked at my car from across the parking lot. That was probably 4-5 hours after I parked it and I wasn't close enough for it to recognize the fob. About 4 hours after that I pulled up the App to preheat the car (unseasonably chilly this evening) and noticed it was indicating the trunk lid was open. HUH??

Walked out about 10 minutes later. Sure enough, it was open.

I'M GLAD IT WAS NOT RAINING EITHER NIGHT!

So what could be the issue?? Stray RF?? Do Teslas typically open their trunks randomly every 2 weeks??

Car is a month old, has tech pkg. Pretty sure I'm not crazy or imagining this but can't figure out how I'd duplicate or demonstrate it for repair. No service center nearby (HOURS away).

Call Tesla service. They may be able to see the problem by remotely accessing the data log in your car.

+1. Based on your description, it couldn't be the FOB. Tesla should have a log of the timestamp for the trunk lid opening event, and possibly what signaled that event. That should help determine cause.

BTW, if you close the hatch on something, the trunk beeps twice and reverses to open.

I'll definitely be calling Tesla, probably Monday as we have busy weekend planned.

In the meantime, I've been tinkering with both our fobs. Even DELIBERATELY pushing the trunk release button it seems to have an effective range of about 6 inches from the license plate. Huh?? We always just open it with our hands on the handle-- but if the fob only releases the trunk from such short range then it seems unlikely to work through about 100 feet of commercial building.

<sigh> I'd be okay with remote releases just being disabled on the trunk as we never use the fobs that way anyway.... but will update after I call them. Thanks all!

Car this new has started this behavior? Sounds like you have a short in the circuit that opens and closes. I would not be surprised that the logs show the lid also closing then opening again multiple times. In other words when you sometimes look its been opened already and closed again. And you are seeing it on the closed cycle.

I'll bet the SC guys know exactly where to look even if they have not personally seen this behavior before.

Its not opening and closing while you drive because opening is disabled when the car is in motion. Even in motion it will let you close it, but not re-open if you are moving.

I believe you are going to have trouble keeping it closed until you get it to the SC.

I'd even try running a flat luggage strop around the outside and then close the lid on the strap. Then brace the strap with a broom handle from the inside to prevent it from opening. I think it would not take much pressure to keep it closed if it was closed.

Let us know what they find, please. This is how we all help each other.

Wow-- 100' reported by two people?? We were gone all day yesterday (other car-- with bikes/rack on it) and will be most of today. Taking the Tesla today-- but it'll be empty and sunny so no real downside if it goes rogue. I'll try the fob outside and maybe it makes a difference? Will try wife's also but I think the only thing I've ever successfully gotten either fob to do-- from any distance-- is lock. No frunk. No trunk. Has been a minor irritation when demoing the car to the curious, that I stand there and pound away on the frunk button to no effect.

I don't think the trunk is "cycling" though. The garage shares a wall with our family room and we'd have heard it beeping when closing if it were truly possessed. I'm pretty sure it has only gone rogue the 2 times and only on the open portion of the cycle.

If we get home early enough today I'll call, otherwise tomorrow. Frankly, I'd be okay with just disabling the remote trunk release because we never use it that way (until our other sedan which has no external handle).

100' feet... huh. I guess I'm conditioned by years of weak Subaru remotes not to expect better. Interesting.

It's 120' from my garage to my shop. Here's a video from the doorway of my shop with Model S parked in my garage:

BTW, manual lock and unlock work from that distance also. Proximity detection requires the fob to be pretty close to the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 120' from my garage to my shop. Here's a video from the doorway of my shop with Model S parked in my garage

Thanks for the video clip NigelM-- I now realize there is an increasing possibility that I am a complete moron.

I didn't realize the trunk/frunk required a double click until I saw you do it. Nope. Didn't read the manual. Nope. Haven't watched the whole Tesla video. Relied heavily on my hands-on experiences with JakeP's car and that was all with HIM having the fob.

Didn't realize the trunk could also be CLOSED remotely. So that was doubly helpful-- and prompted me to look it up in the manual.

At the time of BOTH unexplained openings, my fob was in one of the well-known aftermarket key fob holders, a leather one with a closing snap that rests right on top of the trunk button. If my brand new fob does, indeed, have long-range reach with its new battery and the fob cover facilitates accidental presses on the button, then it is very likely that while in my pockets the fob could send a double click when I sit down or something.

I've moved the fob to a different holder and will experiment a little more before I bother Tesla with this (Monday at work, for instance, I'll try and recreate the release distance as I was parked uncharacteristically close on Friday because of the holiday). If I can deliberately release it then I think the accidental releases are going to be the fault of the leather fob cover design. So... pending final experiments, I think perhaps this is solved.

Perhaps I'll skip calling Tesla and instead alert the seller of the fob covers?! Better me than someone who's a victim of theft or weather damage.
IMG_4471.JPG

UPDATE-- After I posted the picture it occurred to me that perhaps the manufacturer intended the fob to inserted inverted from how I was using it... but alas, the keyring is held onto the other side using a fold/loop of more leather which ALSO lines up and puts pressure on the trunk release.

I've also had wonderful success this afternoon double-click open/close on the trunk at each stop. DOH!

Last edited:
The chain cord came with my fob from Tesla.

The leather cover I am going to defer answering-- as I'm trying to make sure the seller/manufacturer has first chance to stop sale/amend the design before any opportunists (not that you are one) try to take advantage of the situation. If you're really determined you can probably find it.

In the meantime I'm going to go re-read my instructions. ALL OF THEM. :redface: