Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Road Trip...Seattle to Black Butte Ranch (Central Oregon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite getting my MS in March, I haven't yet had the opportunity for a roadtrip...until yesterday. I had some worries after reading the forums but they were all unfounded.
- Needing to drive conservative: didn't notice it all. Drove at my standard rate (speed limit 70, driving 73-75) and my efficiency was good. In fact, my first leg (Kent, WA to Woodburn, OR) I came in just under 300KWH...better than Rated Range. This was partially helped by over an hour of slow traffic but all in all, no major issues. I was going to stop in Centralia to put some juice in, but my plan to just go straight from Kent to Woodburn was easy...rolled into Woodburn with 60 miles of Rated Range left.

- Supercharger overcrowding: It was July 3...one of the busier travel days of the year. After sitting in all that traffic I was worried that the Superchargers may have a wait. Drove by Centralia...no one. Pulled into Woodburn...no one (a blue MS showed up 15 minutes later). Stopped for a bio break in Detroit Lake...no one. No crowding issues here!
photo 1.JPG
photo 4.JPG

- I didn't know how bad the climb to the mountains would be. Of course I used more power, but with the Supercharger in Detroit Lake I never had any concerns. Easy drive. And boy, it was FUN to drive those windy roads. And single-lane dotted line passing...a DREAM!

Pulled into Black Butte with 99 miles and am now charging over the 3 day weekend on a 110 outlet. Should be topped off sometime tomorrow. Can't wait for the drive back home on Sunday night. I'm thinking with the elevation drop I'll only need to stop at Woodburn...maybe I can make it to Centralia.

That's an awesome drive and beautiful drive through Detroit Lake and down toward Bend - especially this time of year. Good to know that there were no charging issues. My Tesla is probably still a few years (and there'll probably be more stations by then), but good to know as that's one of our favorite road trips.

Did you see any other Teslas in Bend or central Oregon while you were there? I've yet to see one in town during my trips there.

One of my favorite color combos you have there too!

Did you see any other Teslas in Bend or central Oregon while you were there? I've yet to see one in town during my trips there.

The car spent most of the weekend recharging on a 110 at our home in BBR...but I did take it into Sisters for dinner one night. No other Teslas spotted out there.

Drive home was great today. Left Black Butte with a full charge, passed the Detroit Lake and Woodburn Superchargers and headed to Centralia...arrived with 25 miles of range left. Upon arrival there was a new (no plates yet) White MS finishing a charge and when I left another MS arrived. Left Centralia with 217 miles rated range, drove to Poulsbo, WA to drop off my brother-in-law then drove to Maple Valley.

236 miles from Black Butte to Centralia
95 miles from Centralia to Poulsbo (with a few extra miles driving around town)
77 miles to Maple Valley...arriving home with 18 miles rated range

Just over 410 miles total with one Supercharger stop. Flawless trip. Never would I think 8+ hours in the car would be fun, but it was GREAT!

photo 2.JPG