Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsatisfying Odometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just making two long trips, I realized as great as the Model S is, the Odometer is really disappointing!

I know it's a digital odometer like has been used in cars for many years, but most (if not all) of those are LED displays.

I want an old-fashioned rollover odometer in the dashboard! Like this:

98690837_3fe8220454_m.jpg

I really liked seeing old-style odometers roll-over like this.. and the thing is, it's possible in the Model S since it's just a graphic computer screen -- it would be pretty easy for Tesla to simulate an old-style odometer (as a per-user setting, of course!).

Back in the late 80's I was living in Munich and took a taxi (there were all Mercedes back then, mostly still are) when I noticed that the odometer showed ~50,000 kilometers; it was an older car so I asked the driver how come the mileage was so low and he proudly told me that the car had gone over 999,999 and started at zero again...(Driver figured with all the parts changes over the years he'd probably gone through at least 3 complete engines)

Better than I've done, I only got my old mercedes up to about 500,000 before the odometer stopped working...

As for the original post, Tesla could skin the display so that it "rolls" instead of just changing the digits... it's all just software after all. (Probably as part of an overall developer toolkit that allows skinning the whole interface)