Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Foundry License Plate Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RFLPB

Finally! A non-invasive solution for mounting your front license plate without having to drill holes and destroy the look of your Tesla Roadster. This lightweight steel license plate bracket mounts into the existing hole in the center of the Roadster's grille making it much less invasive. It is also easy to remove if you want no plate for special occasions or photo opportunities.

Designed by Tesla Roadster owner Stephen Casner and made available through EV Components.

3961313072_a63fc4b998_d.jpg

Last edited:
Mine early Steve model sits in a box waiting for the day that will never come when I get a fixit ticket for no front plate.

I have to ask why they aren't black by now.

Last edited:
I am at two months and five days with no ticket for the missing front plate.

In fact, I had a discussion with a police officer in a parking lot as he admired my Roadster. I pointed out the missing plate and he said that they would only ticket me on it if I am pulled over for something else. It is one of those secondary items. Not a primary ticket offense.

Installing EV Comp. Lic. Plate Bracket

Here are a few hints on installing the EV Components license plate holder/bracket that attaches to the tow hook hole.

The bolt you need to purchase to make the attachment is 10 mm diameter and 1.5 mm pitch. I happened to have purchased one 30 mm long, but it does not need to be that long. Try to purchase a bolt with a head other than a hex. The one I bought has a 17 mm hex head and needed some washers to get a firm grip down in the base of the V where the holder attaches to the tow hole. A bolt with an Allen, Philips, or other head probably would fit easier.

Install the holder to the car before you install the plate to the holder. Particularly if you use a hex-headed bolt a socket extension with a U-joint would be useful, but a regular extension will work if you push it in the socket hole only part way.

The screws that came with the standard front license plate fit the new holder/bracket. They take a small Allen wrench.

It might be a good idea to carry sufficient tools in the car to remove the plate and bracket if the tow hook is ever needed on the road.

The new holder looks great.

Normally two holes are drilled through the front bumper. I wasn't about to let that happen to mine. Get the foundry bracket- at the rally the cars with the bracket definitely looked better than the drilled ones. And the bracket is easily removed for shows or pictures if you want.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Here's another picture w/ CF frame:
_MG_8509.jpg

Last edited:
For Canada (and probably elsewhere) when your car is about to ship, Tesla sends you an email asking for all kinds of information. Among other things they ask you to opt in/out for the license plate bracket.

I've already ordered the bracket from James' company, and I opted out.

http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RFLPB

Finally! A non-invasive solution for mounting your front license plate without having to drill holes and destroy the look of your Tesla Roadster. This lightweight steel license plate bracket mounts into the existing hole in the center of the Roadster's grille making it much less invasive. It is also easy to remove if you want no plate for special occasions or photo opportunities.

Designed by Tesla Roadster owner Stephen Casner and made available through EV Components.

3961313072_a63fc4b998_d.jpg

James is the EV Component License Bracket still available. I made it for one full year without the front plate. You have a new customer now complements of the Chicago PD.