Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roll-up leather dog paw and luggage scratch protection for rear bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I transport my yellow lab in the trunk once or twice a week. When she gets in out out there's always a risk that her claws will scratch the rear bumper. I also have concerns about heavy luggage doing the same when I lift it in and out.

I've been thinking about this solution and finally put it all together today. I used a roll of tan leather that matches my interior, cut it to size, wrapped it around one of those foam pipe insulators, put plastic pipe inside the insulator to give it more weight, added a spare embroidered logo I had around, and attached it all to the back trunk liner with velcro strip, Here are some photos to the results. I hope it looks like it came with car, which was my goal.

DSC_3493.JPG

DSC_5130.JPG

DSC_5129.JPG

DSC_5128.JPG

DSC_5127.JPG

DSC_5123.JPG

DSC_5125_1.JPG

Dude, you are awesome!
I transport my yellow lab in the trunk once or twice a week. When she gets in out out there's always a risk that her claws will scratch the rear bumper. I also have concerns about heavy luggage doing the same when I lift it in and out.

I've been thinking about this solution and finally put it all together today. I used a roll of tan leather that matches my interior, cut it to size, wrapped it around one of those foam pipe insulators, put plastic pipe inside the insulator to give it more weight, added a spare embroidered logo I had around, and attached it all to the back trunk liner with velcro strip, Here are some photos to the results. I hope it looks like it came with car, which was my goal.

View attachment 53029

View attachment 53023

View attachment 53024

View attachment 53025

View attachment 53026

View attachment 53027

View attachment 53028

Well done! FWIW there is a limo outfit out here in the SF Bay Area (early adopter of Model S about a year ago) who essentially did your mod for the trunk and also the frunk on their 2 black Model S with black vinyl which they could snap on or off (mounted snaps on the inside lip) to protect both the front and rear bumpers. Lots of luggage as well as cases of wine (...they do lots of wine country tours).

https://www.teslatours.com/

It even matches the colour of your dog! Nice work.

All the tan carpet is there for a purpose -- it collects dog hair:)

Labs, especially at this time of year, shed an enormous amount of hair. Normally it would be all over the interior of the car and very difficult to remove. But the slight static of the carpet attracts it keeps from flying around. It all ends up on the trunk carpet floor where it can easily be vacuumed away.

Great idea! We keep an old wool army blanket in the back and flop it over the edge when Karma our Chocolate Lab gets in and out of the car but this looks like a better solution. What are the dimensions of the leather and where did you get it?

Great idea! We keep an old wool army blanket in the back and flop it over the edge when Karma our Chocolate Lab gets in and out of the car but this looks like a better solution. What are the dimensions of the leather and where did you get it?

The size of the leather piece I used for this is 32" x25". It was cut out of a much larger piece I ordered from Townsend Leather , a company I've dealt with for about 15 years. I discovered the company when I was looking for firm that had done custom leather work for show cars. It's dye lot 109146 from their Classic Cowhide collection. This is very high quality leather. I bought it thinking I'd line the parcel shelf with it but abandoned that idea when I determined that it would be too difficult to do well. So I had it in storage.