Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen Instrument Cluster (Again) Anyone!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious to know if anyone else has been experiencing freezing of their instrument cluster? In less than three months I've had my instrument cluster changed out at least once and may have to do it again! While driving my instrument cluster freezes, display frozen with speed and other measurements that don't change until I go through rebooting the instrument cluster! This is a huge problem. It is so because, for example, 2-3 week I received a speeding ticket while I seeming-to-me (per the instrument panel display) I was set in cruise control at 65 mph (on a freeway with 55 mph limit) BUT in actuality I was traveling at, per the officer's radar, 77 mph! Basically I had set the cruise control at what appeared on the cluster (65mph) while in reality I was actually going ~77mph and I didn't know it because the cluster was frozen, displaying 65mph. Good thing I recognized this and todo a video of the displaying showing the 65mph while I was at a standstill-stop! Anyhow, subsequently the SC took a week to change out the cluster and retest the system but since then this dangerous anomaly has reoccurred! Any one else experience this anomaly?

Just curious to know if anyone else has been experiencing freezing of their instrument cluster? In less than three months I've had my instrument cluster changed out at least once and may have to do it again! While driving my instrument cluster freezes, display frozen with speed and other measurements that don't change until I go through rebooting the instrument cluster! This is a huge problem. It is so because, for example, 2-3 week I received a speeding ticket while I seeming-to-me (per the instrument panel display) I was set in cruise control at 65 mph (on a freeway with 55 mph limit) BUT in actuality I was traveling at, per the officer's radar, 77 mph! Basically I had set the cruise control at what appeared on the cluster (65mph) while in reality I was actually going ~77mph and I didn't know it because the cluster was frozen, displaying 65mph. Good thing I recognized this and todo a video of the displaying showing the 65mph while I was at a standstill-stop! Anyhow, subsequently the SC took a week to change out the cluster and retest the system but since then this dangerous anomaly has reoccurred! Any one else experience this anomaly?

Strange and not cool. Never had either screen freeze.

I don't think it's the instrument panel since it's happened twice, but one or more sensors. It could also be a bad/loose connection, stuck steering wheel button or even a software issue. Those are some of the things the service center can check.

Also consider e-mailing [email protected] if you haven't already.
spoke to Tesla tech-support out of NorCal and had the local SC work in it for about a week while they changed out the instrument cluster still. I suspect they must have checked out these other and potentially other culprits that could cause this freezing and yet, ~3 weeks later and I have experienced this otherwise totally compromising flaw again!

I would definitely bring the car back to the SC and ask them to check out the computer or board that's sending the display signal to the panel. Replacing that might fix the issue. Does the main control screen ever freeze (the one where you can look at the backup camera view)?
Nope! The main controls display has yet to freeze! I have noticed that the steering controls start to lock-up and become non-responsive leading up to when the cluster eventually freezes, though!

I've had my car 6 months. The computer crashed hard the day after I received. It's rebooted while driving approximately 6 times since that. Most recently the display froze for a few seconds while reversing, twice. Now I'm asking the service center to look at it and they want me to first clear the "trip history". Checking the manual, "history" is not in there. If they mean the Trip odometers, Seriously?!. Keeping track of six numbers is too much for the computer to handle? I think they are just trying to keep me away until I loose interest. Any advice?

I've had my car 6 months. The computer crashed hard the day after I received. It's rebooted while driving approximately 6 times since that. Most recently the display froze for a few seconds while reversing, twice. Now I'm asking the service center to look at it and they want me to first clear the "trip history". Checking the manual, "history" is not in there. If they mean the Trip odometers, Seriously?!. Keeping track of six numbers is too much for the computer to handle? I think they are just trying to keep me away until I loose interest. Any advice?

No they don't mean the trip odometer but the actual history of trips used in the navigation. See this video:

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
No they don't mean the trip odometer but the actual history of trips used in the navigation. See this video:

Thanks for pointing out the video. I will clear that stuff, no significant loss. However the Tesla service center really did mean the trip odometers. I asked for clarification and this is the reply:
"To clarify, [other Tesla Rep.] was referring to your Trip A and Trip B data. If they have never been reset there is a lot of data stored on the computer, which can potentially cause glitches."
:-(

More bad behavior today, and after clearing all my trip history. Whenever I tried to play from my USB, it went back to radio before I could choose an artist. Reboot fixed it.... for now. Computers are getting to be more human all the time. Some are reliable and some are not.

In over 2 years I've had it freeze/reboot maybe two or three times.

Come on Tesla... where's the "Delete All" button?! That's just plain nuts that you have to delete the history that way. I've never deleted mine since I got the car but then again I don't have nearly as many as Bjorn.

In over 2 years I've had it freeze/reboot maybe two or three times.

Come on Tesla... where's the "Delete All" button?! That's just plain nuts that you have to delete the history that way. I've never deleted mine since I got the car but then again I don't have nearly as many as Bjorn.

I was very clear, asking the Denver Tesla Service Center Rep which trips she was talking about, and I watched as she cleared the trip odometers. (Interestingly, the Salt Lake City Service center did not agree that trip odometers would contribute to MCU malfunctions. IMO this Denver Tesla Service Center Rep is mis-informed and badly trained.)
But good news (for me)! The last foible was in November when it failed to update the time as we crossed from Pacific to Mountain time zone... Two and a half months error free!