Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on a mission to hire veterans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hope that employers remember that Vietnam veterans also served their country. For people over 55 it's much more difficult to get rehired compared to the younger veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan who are in the age group employers want.

Nothing to do with corporate citizenship. Tesla hires smart.

But this is my point. Often people think that doing humane things is somehow not "smart" in business. I do not agree, and have found this to be false. Just as "smart" transportation is sustainable transportation, smart HR is sustainable HR. Not only are vets good employees, but the have been a neglected population. Smart management can solve social ills while building a strong and efficient organization. These two goals are not mutually exclusive, or even in fundamental conflict.

But this is my point. Often people think that doing humane things is somehow not "smart" in business. I do not agree, and have found this to be false. Just as "smart" transportation is sustainable transportation, smart HR is sustainable HR. Not only are vets good employees, but the have been a neglected population. Smart management can solve social ills while building a strong and efficient organization. These two goals are not mutually exclusive, or even in fundamental conflict.

Well said.
I wish more businesses would see that concept.

This has nothing to do with being humane. As the article notes, veterans have good hiring rates because of their skills. Tesla has identified that the commitment they show is of particular value so have actively focused on hiring veterans. It's actually ironic, given the situation with SpaceX and the Air Force.

Posted on reddit today.

Camo Model S for Veterans Day : teslamotors

OvbXyEy.jpg

I just hope that employers remember that Vietnam veterans also served their country. For people over 55 it's much more difficult to get rehired compared to the younger veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan who are in the age group employers want.

A couple of years ago BMW opened a new manufacturing plant somewhere in Germany and they intentionally hired 50+ and even some 60+ folk too. Hiring only young people also means that you don't have any experienced people who can pass on their skills, and some years down the line they will also all retire around the same time, which will also make it harder to pass on knowledge.