Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saving your floormats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always managed to destroy any floor mats I have for any car I have ever had. Until I came up with this... I got some fiberboard and felt from Home Depot (or Ace, or Lowes, I really don't remember) and made some floor mat savers. as I remember, it was under $10 for both and I have plenty of spare material!

Note that this technique will work to cover any unsightly holes that are starting your current mats!

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the construction, but it was very easy:

1) lay the original floor mat on top of the fiberboard
2) draw the outline of the mat onto the fiberboard
3) cut the fiberboard with a jig saw
4) roughly cut out the felt larger than the fiberboard
5) spray contact cement onto the top of the fiberboard and bottom edges where the felt will wrap around
6) spray the bottom of the felt (if there is a difference)
7) wait the appropriate time for the contact cement to cure before attaching
8) attach the felt to the top of the fiberboard
9) using scissors to cut the excess felt and lines for the felt to make the corners, wrap the felt around the edge of the fiberboard and onto the glued part of the bottom of the fiberboard

IMG_20140703_161943.jpg

Original mat from 2010 Roadster (today's picture!)

IMG_20140703_161951.jpg

Top of floor mat protector (about a year old)

IMG_20140703_162000.jpg

Bottom of floor mat protector (note that the felt wraps around the edges and is glued to the bottom as well)

IMG_20140703_162015.jpg

Floor mat protector was designed to show the Tesla logo (you may cover the entire mat if you desire, but I find most wear is where the heels rest and I really wanted to show the Logo.)

IMG_20140703_162124.jpg

Original mat installed in car

IMG_20140703_162135.jpg

Floor mat protector on top of original mat