Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent scammers appearing in Marketplace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Gang...

This probably isn't shocking to anyone, but I've been approached by a couple of unsavory types in recent days wanting to purchase my wheels from the Marketplace. They both followed the same pattern:

-Brand new forum members with zero posts
-Willing to pay the full price (or a slightly negotiated price)
-From out of the country
-Willing to pay upwards of $800 for shipping on a set of $3000 wheels

The first guy, from Sweden, seemed helpful and legit right up to the point when I observed that he was very new to the forum and had no posts and asked if there were any established forum members who could vouch for him. When I made that request, he disappeared.

I believe that this first guy intended to claim to PayPal that the item was not "as advertised" and get PayPal to refund his purchase price. Apparently, all PayPal requires is a delivery confirmation that the buyer sends a package back to the seller and they'll refund the purchase price to the buyer, with no additional proof required. From what I've read, a common scam is to just send an empty box or something worthless back to the seller, just to satisfy PayPal's refund process. The seller is then out the money and has a box of rocks to show for it.

The second guy appeared today, from Switzerland, has just approached me, and seems to be the same pattern.

My preference, of course, is to sell locally so that buyer and seller can meet and the seller can examine and take personal custody of the items being sold. To do otherwise is to invite loss or damage from shipping and fraud from unsavory buyers.

This warning probably isn't necessary to many of you, but I had somehow expected that our Tesla community was somehow more immune to this sort of thing. Silly me.