Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Camera Visibility in the rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure this has been addressed but just in case a dab of rainX on the camera lens makes a world of difference in the rain I can actually see out the back:smile:

...or when your professional is doing OptiCoat or the like, there is a product for your glass (FWIW, I got the OptiCoat on my glass all around and on my headlights/taillights) that can be applied to the rear camera lens. Lasts a loooooong time.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Interesting note. I took mine in to Gary Dean's detailing today as recommended by several Florida enthusiasts. I never asked about the windows. I have historically used Rain X on all windows with good results. I will ask Gary tonight about the windows. Thanks.

Got the car back tonight and it looks fantastic. Garry Dean Detailing did a great job... that is the good news. The bad news is that he discovered a body flaw on the driver's door. The lower panel has been repaired and in his opinion the repair sucked. Once he pointed this out to me it was obvious. Not only can you see it but I could feel how rough and lumpy the area is where filler has obviously been used. He described it as a "piss poor job." I have sent the Tampa SC an email and will forward pictures Garry took when I get them tonight. I am hoping that they live up their reputation and fix this even if it requires replacing the door. Does anyone think I am wrong in demanding perfection when one spends $120k for a brand new luxury car? I will post the pictures here also when I get them if I can figure how to..

Service center has been outstanding in fixing flaws for me. When I took my car in for opti-coat, the detailer found a pool of clear coat on one of the door. He sanded it down as much as he felt was safe to do. I mentioned this to service center. They offered to sand down the door and repaint it.

Got a call from the Tampa SC and will bring car into them to inspect next week. I am just perplexed at how something like this could happen. I can't imagine given technology and the company's ability to interrogate every aspect of the car that there is not some electronic record of this damage and repair. If the injury and repair had been divulged I probably would have not had a problem if the repair was not detectable. The problem now is there is clear evidence of a repair and that devalues the car. Too much clear coat is another issue. I will post the progress and welcome all input. My new issue is having driven to Tampa to Key Largo with a great experience with the Super charger in Ft. Myers to arrive at the Ocean Reef that owns two Teslas and has 4 chargers, that I can't get my car to charge. It will for about three minutes then the charger defaults and charging stops. I tried all 4 of their charging stations with the same result. Awaiting advice from Tesla Motor Tech people.

I am sure this has been addressed but just in case a dab of rainX on the camera lens makes a world of difference in the rain I can actually see out the back:smile:
I just tried this (putting Rain-X on the rear view camera), and it seems to work well in the half hour I've watched water accumulation and deaccumulation, compared to the last week of rain getting on it. It's still not 100%, but it seems improved. So far, I agree, and recommend this.

I also did same for all the car driving automation cameras that I could find, for good measure. It probably only helps with their fleet learning, since I don't have driving automation enabled in my account ($10K option), and it's not yet released, but the more the merrier I say.