Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you be willing to pay for 4G service if 3G were free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone hypothesized elsewhere on this forum that the reason Tesla has been able to offer free 3G service is that it was able to scoop up 3G bandwith for a super-low price. 4G is obviously in higher-demand. What is your feeling about Tesla continuing to offer free 3G service, but charging for built-in 4G service?

Someone hypothesized elsewhere on this forum that the reason Tesla has been able to offer free 3G service is that it was able to scoop up 3G bandwith for a super-low price. 4G is obviously in higher-demand. What is your feeling about Tesla continuing to offer free 3G service, but charging for built-in 4G service?
I want wifi hotspot. I'd be happy even if it was 3G.

GM is rolling out paid 4G hotspot service as an option nearly across-the-board in its 2015 models.
Tesla advertised it (3G hotspot) when I made my reservation. Too bad they pulled it since. :(

I've seen it pop up in the details for a lot of manufacturers. Bummer that Tesla will likely be last to the party (if arriving at all) on this one.

I don't see the need for LTE (other than obsolescence) in the Model S.

The current speeds are plenty to stream music, update my maps. I don't see why everyone is wanting faster Internet. The browser is crap and slow, even if the data is transfered quicker the pages aren't going to load that much faster.

I'm happy with my free 3G speeds. Now if ATT didn't have a dead spot at my house I would be happy (Verizon and Sprint also have my house as a dead spot, I get 4 bars of T-Mobile 3G/4G/LTE though).

You can do that easily by turning your phone's Hotspot or get one of those mobile Hotspot and connect your car through it. I doubt it makes a noticeable difference for what normal driving.
No, you can't without changing your plan. And no, I don't want to change my (grandfathered) cell phone plan to get wifi hotspot support on it. I want the wi-fi hotspot support in my car that was advertised when I ordered my car.

Wouldn't the wifi hotspot advertised with the car still cost money? I don't think they promised it would be free. They promised the hardware which may or may not be there.
Until they announce availability in any form at any price that's somewhat moot. I've had my car over 1.5 years now and still no sign that this isn't getting "the sunshade treatment" or "the lighted vanity mirrors treatment" or "the other USB ports treatment" -- aka promised but quietly never delivered.