Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome disks on wheels!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
20140702_130314.jpg

I would love to find out where to get those! I saw them on a Model S from Oregon charging in Barstow

Want.

I looked in to some third-party "moon" discs before I bought my car a couple of years ago. A query of mine got forwarded to engineering, and the official response was to frown on the idea both to the potential for scratching the wheels and for retaining too much brake heat.

However, if you only use them on long highway trips when you are not using the brakes, and they are easy to take off in town, they might be OK. I'd err on the side of caution, though.

I like the idea, but folks are giving this garage hackjob an aesthetic pass while hating on the aero wheels?
To be fair, the aero wheels were not very good looking. The silver/grey combo didn't do them any favors, and I thought the sharp, angular, geometric design looked out of place on a car with graceful swooping lines. In contrast, a flat disc has no such distraction. Not to say that these are real lookers, either, but they're not as distracting as Tesla's Aeros.

Chgd Up says he saved 6.5% at 60mph with pizza pans HERE.

If that is right, Tesla itself cannot ignore this.

They are going for the mirrors, for some percent, so they have to think about this also. Sure with a better style.
Cooling the break will be the challenge, and will be done.

But one innovation at the time, so customers don't get shocked.

So, i think they won't go for it until Gen III

Greetings Earl

Ps. Is their a picture with the whole Model S?

An even better solution would be to have the back wheel covered like the original Honda Insight had it for example. It's a matter of integrating it in the design. I think most people don't like it and think it's unattractive. I think the majority of people are fine sacrificing range for looks. Just look at the number of people who have 21 inch wheels.
Personally I think those disk are cool, though.

An even better solution would be to have the back wheel covered like the original Honda Insight had it for example. It's a matter of integrating it in the design. I think most people don't like it and think it's unattractive.

The looks are fine. The main problem is that the way it is implemented is a real pain... Fender skirts fall off and can difficult to remove and replace--especially in winter or when muddy. In the DS-21 the problem was avoided by having the entire rear quarter panel come off with one easy to undo bolt and two pins, so it's technically possible to make this work--but it would require a redesign and big changes in stamping dies, etc.