Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should one tip at a carwash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to tip not so much because the guys do an awesome job, but because they allow me to grab one of their towels and work some detail areas. Things like the inside edges of the frunk, between the doors, the top of the back hatch, and other stuff that I wouldn't expect them to do on a normal car wash.

Also, I pretty much always have a coupon and figure I can redirect (at least some of) the savings to the guys.

Yes. They are like the other occupations that receive below minimum wage because they are expected to be tipped (along with waiters/waitress, pizza delivery, etc). I usually tip $2 or $3 dollars, unless they take a long time or start talking to other people, then it can go down.

Yes. The best car wash in town (so far) has a tip box prominently placed in the area where the cars get wiped down and the interiors cleaned after they come out of the wash. You drop your tip in as you are summoned to drive off with your finished car. Almost everybody tips but you can get away without tipping if you really want to - I've seen a few people do so. BTW, I use this only for my leftover ICE. My P85 gets a hand wash.

Last edited:
I used to take my ICE cars to car wash for the $10-$12 wash plus a $2 tip but now I take my Model S to a Wash that is a self high power spray. With $4 in quarters can high pressure soap and high pressure rinse. The $ I save I use to have it professionally hand washed and waxed every 3 months by my local Detailer. The wax they use holds up to my frequent washes very well. Plus they really do a great job on the windows making them super clear!

You take your Tesla to a car wash???

With my previous car I took it to the local car wash. I always tipped.

Since my wife and I are always the ones to do the wipe down after a cold water rinse spray (doesn't melt or wash the wax off, but does rinse off the dirt and dust), I think we should be tipped, but I can't find the guy with the money so I can grumble at him.

We've had our car almost two years, will have 50K miles this month, and the paint shines like a mirror. Only ever use carnauba spray in water (3M) and a clean micro fiber towel. Looks better than it did when we picked it up from the factory. Well, *I* think it does.

I have a hard time thinking that every car wash guy cares about my car. They can't do as good a job every time, and I don't want to give them the chance to make swirls or dents or leave spots and mud the one time they don't care.

Of course I tip. Exactly as you are supposed to tip at the restaurant.
I take the Tesla to a hand wash joint ("FiveCorners the Original Hand Wash", at the Hillside/Marcus/Denton intersection), New Hyde Park NY.
The guys take special care of my car -because I tip well- and dress the tires with copious amounts of tire shine, use the soft window cleanser to protect the 3M Crystalline and look for every nook and cranny inside the cabin/frunk/trunk. That's what tips are for.

When you pull up in an $80-120,000 car, and one that doesn't cost gas, it does look pretty cheap not to tip. As others have alluded to, the couple bucks probably means a lot more to them than it does to you.

One of the downsides of owning a luxury vehicle, I guess! Same goes with valets, if you have occasion to use one...

This is a debate my wife and I have had often... There's a local car wash that dries your car afterward. Personally, I find sitting there awkwardly while they do it uncomfortable, so I opt out when I can. Anywho, they had a top bin at one point, and it went away, so I said to my wife maybe they no longer want/ask for them. Just in case though, I selected "air dry" when I chose my wash so that I could skip it. The guy waved me over and started drying me off anyway :(

He then tapped on the window and commented on how nice the car was and how crazy I was for off-roading in it (it was quite muddy). I reluctantly tipped -_-.

I've nothing against tipping, it's just one of those things where I don't want it done, is awkward AND I'm supposed to find cash to tip after I've paid with a credit card? bleh. I go to the fully automated ones when possible.

I have only gone to a carwash place twice, when travelling. I gave them 3 or 4$ and I swear they said something derogatory about it. I didn't really catch it but it's like they said "wow $3". Really made me mad. It wasn't like it was a $200 half day detail, it was a automatic wash with hand wiping.