Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Troubling squeak / creak sounds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

paulkva

part of the supercharge.info dev team
Jul 22, 2013
Falls Church, VA
Has anyone experienced sounds like this?

(This is audio only, my cell phone was face-down on the floor in the console area.)
~0:08 - I cross the threshold while backing out of my garage
~0:18 - I open the windows (you can start hearing birds chirping in the background, sorry)
~0:32 - I cross the threshold while driving forward into my garage

It started almost a week ago and it has gotten progressively worse. I hear it when I go over any bump, sometimes when I get in and out of the car, and sometimes when I simply turn the steering wheel at low speeds. In general it's most noticeable at low speeds, but now I can hear it at pretty much any speed, even over "standard" road noise at highway speeds. The car only has ~7700 miles on it right now.

I have an appointment with the Rockville Service Center in ~3 weeks, but I'm planning on a trip to NJ starting Thursday afternoon. I left messages for Rockville tonight to see if they can sneak me in tomorrow or Thursday morning for a quick safety check, as I'd rather not drive 500 miles without being sure it's safe and that I won't cause bigger problems. Meanwhile, I figured I'd ask the experts here, in hopes that there's something constructive I can tell the service center when they call me back. I'll post again once they do take a look, of course.

I've done some searching here but couldn't find much of anything that's relevant or similar. I'm pretty confident it's not the pano roof creak.
Could be this (post #74 in the thread):
Model S Squeaks, Creaks, and Rattles - Page 8

(Mods, feel free to merge this into the Squeaks, Creaks, and Rattles thread if you think that's more appropriate.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds just like mine used to. SC first said it needed a washer for the steering rack, but that didn't change anything. Went back and they re-tightened the sub frame mounting bolts. That fixed it and since then it hasn't made a single squeak.

Thanks zwede! Erick at the Rockville service center wrote back to me this morning and said they could take a quick look tomorrow morning, even though they're already overbooked. (They REALLY need that Tysons Corner service center!) I feel somewhat bad asking them to do so, but I definitely want to rule out safety issues before a long trip.

Sounds just like mine used to. SC first said it needed a washer for the steering rack, but that didn't change anything. Went back and they re-tightened the sub frame mounting bolts. That fixed it and since then it hasn't made a single squeak.

Same experience here: started hearing creaks coming from under the dash when entering/leaving the driveway, and the Denver SC tightened the frame bolts up front to fix the problem.

I'm having the same problem. I noticed it about 1 week ago.

I'm having another problem. I am getting HIP ailments on my left side. I thought it was me and my sporting activities but I think it's the car. I've been driving my "S" constantly for the past 3 weeks and that's when the hip started to ache. I have an S500 and my hip does not hurt when I drive it. The seats are very uncomfortable and I know Elon has talked about making the seats better. I'm now reconsidering buying the "X".

I'm having the same problem. I noticed it about 1 week ago.

I'm having another problem. I am getting HIP ailments on my left side. I thought it was me and my sporting activities but I think it's the car. I've been driving my "S" constantly for the past 3 weeks and that's when the hip started to ache. I have an S500 and my hip does not hurt when I drive it. The seats are very uncomfortable and I know Elon has talked about making the seats better. I'm now reconsidering buying the "X".

do you have a wallet in a rear pocket?
if so, try putting in a front pocket. read a post here about that, seems to make quite a difference

UMD86: there's also a thread or two here on a seat "fix" which is supposed to improve comfort. I agree you probably shouldn't have a wallet in your back pocket while driving the S, but the seat fix should help as well. I suggest you make an appointment at your nearest service center for both the creaking and the seat fix. (I'm still scheduled for a seat fix and AC noise fix later this month.)

Rockville fixed my creak today - turned out it was loose ball joints in the suspension. (I think I have that correct.) They told me it's common in older cars (of all makes) and so far very rare in the Model S. They decided to go ahead and fix it right away; it was enough of a concern that they preferred to take care of it before my trip. It was somewhat involved because they had to remove and reinstall my battery and perform an alignment. Fortunately it was ready just in time for my trip. :)

Here's the detail from my statement.

Corrections: Front Control Arm - Front - Lower - RH
Part Quantity
FR SUSP AFT LINK ASSY (6007997-00-B) 1
WASHER, NORDLOCK, 15.2x30.7x3.4
(1033093-00-A)
NUT HFPT M14x1.50 [10] ZnAl-W (1004358-
00-B)
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Battery Assembly (Remove and Install)

P.S. They were nice enough to give me an Enterprise rental for the day (remember this appointment was near-zero notice and Rockville is constantly overbooked), but wow am I spoiled by the Model S.

I have Tesla S 85. 12/2013
Battling over rattle in front suspension for 1 month. Complete front supension (without coils) costs 1400 Euro + 1000 Euro labor in Tesla OEM workshop.
I decided to investigate it my self, ended up with defect 6007997-00-B 2x and after refurbishing it, again 1 rattling sound left, it was better but it wasnt end of my nightmare with "cheap car sound".

I still have squeaking in Back Left Wheel, when i slowly start moving front or reverse. I assume it is 1027459-99-A rear suspension arm.