Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model X have 4G?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 2 separate issues: hardware, and allocated bandwidth from the wireless carrier.

Even if Model X has an LTE baseband chip, it may not be able to use it the the fullest potential if the bandwidth is throttled on AT&T's end. Since Tesla is paying for the wireless service, they would know if there's a throttle on bandwidth to the Model S.

Model S appears to have approximately 5 Megabit downlink and 1 Megabit uplink, comparable with HSDPA speeds from an iPhone 3G.

As anticitizen stated it could be both. It could have a 4G chip but be limited to 3G speeds. I'm stepping over into speculation as I am not a Telco expert but my guess is that AT&T has spare capacity on their 3G systems and so has sold that to Tesla for cheap. Perhaps in the future when Tesla can handle the billing and/or gets big enough for AT&T to care they could offer different plans and potentially enable 4G.

So my guess is that Day 1 Model X won't be 4G.

I've never seen those numbers even when I have full bars. More like 1.5-2 Mbps down is the max for me.

5 Megabits/sec was the fastest I saw in one of the bandwidth test threads. I think it is dependent on network traffic in your geographic location. 1-3 Mbps was definitely more common.

As anticitizen stated it could be both. It could have a 4G chip but be limited to 3G speeds. I'm stepping over into speculation as I am not a Telco expert but my guess is that AT&T has spare capacity on their 3G systems and so has sold that to Tesla for cheap. Perhaps in the future when Tesla can handle the billing and/or gets big enough for AT&T to care they could offer different plans and potentially enable 4G.

So my guess is that Day 1 Model X won't be 4G.

AT&T definitely sells bulk coverage to virtual networks (MVNOs) like StraightTalk, but they often throttle the speed. My suspicion is that AT&T has a similar arrangement with Tesla: bulk sale of data at a limited speed. MVNOs like Cricket, which is an AT&T subsidiary, has an 8 Mbps throttle I believe.

Tesla needs just enough speed to make the updates and other features work. The question for me is how much will drivers pay for faster downloads?

I agree it is currently too slow but how fast a connection do people want when they use their phones for most things? For getting Nav 3G isn't horrible but surfing web is too slow.

I agree it is currently too slow but how fast a connection do people want when they use their phones for most things? For getting Nav 3G isn't horrible but surfing web is too slow.
My kids are quite small at the moment but at some point I will welcome the in-car hotspot idea where the kids can surf on their WiFi tablets using the car's cellular uplink. At that point I will want more bandwidth.

Now that you mention it...

When driving alone, my primary need for wifi hotspot could be mostly satisfied if supercharger locations were wifi hotspots. Hm, I should probably e-mail about that.