Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Idle" energy usage accounting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
So I'm sitting in my Model S with the A/C blasting playing around on my laptop while I wait on someone. Been here about an hour.

So far my idle usage has ticked away 7 rated miles, so about 2.1 kWh. Thats fine.

However, none of my trip meters or "since last charge" meter show this 2.1kWh.

So now I'm curious, is this the case while driving also? I do have the car "on" (neutral w/parking brake trick).

Seems there would be significant power "missing" from these stats...

So I did a short hop down the street (2.5 miles) and my energy usage graph was pegged off screen almost the whole way, even though I was driving conservatively...

It finally looked normal for the last 0.2 miles.

Usage increased 1.1 kWh, so not the balance of my idle usage, but more than I used driving the 2.5 miles.

At the Hamilton supercharger topping off actually since it turns out I have another hour to kill...

It shows while in drive, but not in park.

Is that certain? I thought it didn't even while in drive, I did a calculation during a 42.3 kms drive (30 mins), supposedly used 9.9 kWh, however typical miles went down by 55 kms. That would imply that the typical assumed consumption would be 180Wh/km, but I think it's supposed to be around 196 (confirmed by the dotted line on the consumption screen which is just below 200). If I add 1 kWh (half of what was reported in the first post) for the airco, etc.., then this would bring the typical consumption to the expected level.

Is that certain? I thought it didn't even while in drive, I did a calculation during a 42.3 kms drive (30 mins), supposedly used 9.9 kWh, however typical miles went down by 55 kms. That would imply that the typical assumed consumption would be 180Wh/km, but I think it's supposed to be around 196 (confirmed by the dotted line on the consumption screen which is just below 200). If I add 1 kWh (half of what was reported in the first post) for the airco, etc.., then this would bring the typical consumption to the expected level.
It's not that difficult to try out. It might depend on Firmware, but mine does.

I believe it won't show on the energy graph or trip meters until after you put some distance on. As you saw, the energy usage was distributed over the next few miles of driving. Don't know why, though.

Incidentally, this is why some people think that the tire shop, auto body shop, etc. took their car for a joyride. They see energy use pegged on the graph for the last few miles and assume it was taken for a joyride. What really happened is that the energy usage while the car was in the shop was distributed over the next few miles of driving.

I believe it won't show on the energy graph or trip meters until after you put some distance on. As you saw, the energy usage was distributed over the next few miles of driving. Don't know why, though.

Incidentally, this is why some people think that the tire shop, auto body shop, etc. took their car for a joyride. They see energy use pegged on the graph for the last few miles and assume it was taken for a joyride. What really happened is that the energy usage while the car was in the shop was distributed over the next few miles of driving.

It is an interesting accounting method.

However in my case, the amount of energy consumed while motionless as calculated by the drop in rated miles was still less than the energy shown consumed over the next few of miles. Its something, but, still missing energy. :(