Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

appropriate materials

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Below is a link to a UK article about Chris Porritt's comments - the journalist tought Chris meant Steel in place of aluminium

Tesla promises realistic pricing for new BMW 3-series rival | Autocar

I know it is too soon to say something specific. But steel? Wow, now that is a no-go argument for me. Two out of three cars from my parents died because of rust.
So I am very awkward about rust. I mean even the i3 is not made of steel and will be much cheaper by the time gen 111 comes out.
For me the best argument for buying a Tesla always was the fact that it is made of aluminium so there is no rust. In 2018 a leaf will almost have the same range like the gen 111 and it will be cheaper.
I just can't see a different between those two cars anymore when they are both just rust bowls. Furthermore I don't see a cost problem with aluminium at a 40.000 $ car. Would be different if it only costs 20k...

What do you guys think? Does that bother you?

Last edited:
I hope appropriate means low weight, not just low cost. The Model S already weighs way too much, but it's a large car so it is expected to be heavy. A super heavy smaller car would be hard to make as engaging I think. I definitely don't want a 4000+ lb midsize car. I really hope they can control the weight.

Lead would be very inappropriate. As would be balsa wood.

I too am glad to hear that appropriate materials will be used. I also am glad that journalists will not be designing the car, since they apparently think that "mostly steel" would be appropriate.

Balsa wood would not be as inappropriate as it may first appear. The C5 corvettes used composite floor panels with balsa wood core for low mass, stiffness, and strength. The British "mosquito" WWII bombers were also made of balsa wood. While balsa wood is very light and strong, it might be hard to source in quantities sufficient for the gen3 car, so it is probably inappropriate for that reason.

GSP

In what way is steel not an appropriate material to use when making a car? Name a low priced vehicle that isn't primarily made from steel.

I am all for improved materials, and lowering weight. But there is nothing wrong with steel as a material to make automobiles. Perhaps not the lightest material. But why all the steel hate?

Rust is a still a minor concern, but with modern coatings and paints it is very controllable in most environments with minimal upkeep.

I hope appropriate means low weight, not just low cost. The Model S already weighs way too much, but it's a large car so it is expected to be heavy. A super heavy smaller car would be hard to make as engaging I think. I definitely don't want a 4000+ lb midsize car. I really hope they can control the weight.

I believe my last car a BMW 335d was ~3800lbs so a 4000lb GEN III isn't that heavy in comparison.

There is such a thing as undercoating and oil spraying. You don't have that in Austria? If not, you might want to start a business.

Are you always that sarcastic?
I just wanted to state that in areas with snowy winters there always is a lot of road salt. No matter how much you spray or repair the salt is too agressive. And even if there are just little scratches from stones in the painting sooner or later the bodywork will rost. And this is very sad I think because as we all know an EV can last much longer.
I am no steel hater. I just wanted to say that there are better materials for building a great car like an Tesla.
BMW can built a carbon car at this price tag. So I know that Tesla can do better!

Are you always that sarcastic?
I just wanted to state that in areas with snowy winters there always is a lot of road salt. No matter how much you spray or repair the salt is too agressive. And even if there are just little scratches from stones in the painting sooner or later the bodywork will rost. And this is very sad I think because as we all know an EV can last much longer.
I am no steel hater. I just wanted to say that there are better materials for building a great car like an Tesla.
Aluminum may not rust, but it does corrode....
IMG_1029.jpg

rust.jpg

BMW can built a carbon car at this price tag. So I know that Tesla can do better!
Now we're talking. plastics, carbon fibre, etc are the solution to corrosion not simply aluminum.