Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audi A8: Tesla killer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, it came across as a Tesla hater. Basically, he is saying the Audi is a better car because it has a 868 mile range on a tank of gas, costs "only" $1200 per year in fuel, and can be refueled in minutes. My concern is that the average person that reads the article will think that the Audi is a better car in other areas too, because of the slant of the article. I believe, based solely on this article, that the author is anti-EV.

The Audi diesels are an impressive improvement over traditional gas powered luxury cars. While they can't match the performance of the Model S or a turbo V8 petrol motor, they aren't complete dogs either. I averaged 36 mpg last weekend driving 80 mph down the turnpike in an A6 diesel loaner. By the traditional standard of a luxury car, the A8l really is an excellent car. It excels in providing the smooth, silent, leather lined womb that many desire. I love my Audi S8, but expect it's not going to see much use when my P85 arrives in August.
Not sure why the author felt the need to bash the Tesla to glorify the Audi. He also neglects to mention that an owner walks out to a Tesla with a "full tank" every morning. He also ignores the fact that although the Audi MMI is probably the best of the German knob based infotainment systems, the Tesla's renders it obsolete.

According to the article, the car gets like 24 mpg city, and 36 mpg hwy. The author speculates that "in the real world" it might get an avg 40 mpg overall. (ridiculous) Assuming 12000 mi/yr and $4/gal diesel. I guess there is no other depreciation to count on an ICE, cuz they can run forever. He counts depreciation of the battery as part of the operating cost for the MS. But nothing but gas for the Audi.

Forget pollution, the electric drive of the Tesla is far quieter, smoother, more powerful and has much quicker response time than the A8.
I have been spoiled by the pleasures of electric drive and can't stand the sluggish behavior of the A8 (although it is better than many other ICE cars).

The A8 is a wonderful car 1.0. It can't hold a candle to car 2.0.

I'll confess that I think Audi has the upper hand on interior design, so I'll concede that this new Audi A8L is the better limo. It's slower off the line than a Model S, however: 0-60 in 6.3 sec, so as a driver's car, I'll give the tip to Tesla. Tesla really could improve its interiors, though.

To me, it came across as a Tesla hater. Basically, he is saying the Audi is a better car because it has a 868 mile range on a tank of gas, costs "only" $1200 per year in fuel, and can be refueled in minutes. My concern is that the average person that reads the article will think that the Audi is a better car in other areas too, because of the slant of the article. I believe, based solely on this article, that the author is anti-EV.

$1200 a year in fuel, plus another $200-$300 a year in maintenance (oil changes, urea fluid), plus the knowledge that modern day diesels don't last like they used to because of all the newfangled emissions stuff (particulate filters, urea injection systems, EGR) that will fail pretty much immediately out of warranty.