Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Colors Unavailable :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
So, my fiance was thinking about buying a Model S for herself. She hates all of the available colors, though. So, figured I'd shoot a quick email to NASales and see what they had to say about a non-standard color. I attached an image of a light/lime green metallic Model S sitting on the factory floor that I found around her somewhere as an example of something she'd like. I also specifically said that cost of the change wasn't really an issue.

Here's the reply...

Thanks so much for contacting Tesla Motors! At this time, we don’t offer custom color options beyond what you see in our design studio. The car you see in the photo was created for one of our company executives, not a customer. That being said, we’re always incorporating customer feedback into our vehicles and we will continue to roll out options that ensure we are the best car on the road. Thank you so much for your interest, and I hope we can get your fiancée her own Model S soon!

She is sad now. :(

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking a non-factory paint job (post delivery) just wouldn't be the same. And a wrap doesn't seem like it'd be the best for long term, average use, daily driving. Not sure what other options would be.

Wraps are great to change the color and still maintain daily driving and protecting the paint. I had my Model S wrapped in a clear satin film last year and it looks great. I also had my Ferrari wrapped in Matte White (from Red) and it still looks great after 2.5 years.

From what I heard, they used to do custom colors, but realized to do a custom color they have to shut down the entire line, take the car out, paint it, then shut down the line again and put the car back in. So everything ends up delayed to do custom colors in factory. They stopped doing that.

If you won't settle for anything other then factory painting, even through a Tesla certified body shop. Then maybe wait on the Model X? (as it will probably have more color options)

Wrap 3M and other, protect the originale paint and is made in a warity of colors, also mentalic and dual colors like the one my wife like.
Camelon: brown and purple, the best thing is when the lady get tired og the color, rewrap and the Car is like new. :)

ahu2ade4.jpg

sigurdi

Last edited:
I second the comments about wraps. I've never had one done but it makes sense that if you pick a basic light or dark color, than apply your wrap, you could change colors every year for several years without coming close to the cost of repainting. You would also still have great factory paint protection and resale value.

And also good for people like me, that do nok like to use hours of washing, cleaning, polish... to try to protect the original paint, and you still will get scratches, quirls (or whatever everything is called).
If I deside to sell the car aften 2-3 years, remove the wrap, cleaning polish... and the paint is just like it is brand new.

Only use a good and qualified wraper that know his work and USAs inside knife, and not cut on the edges.

sigurdi

Wrap 3M and other, protect the originale paint and is made in a warity of colors, also mentalic and dual colors like the one my wife like.
Camelon: brown and purple, the best thing is when the lady get tired og the color, rewrap and the Car is like new. :)
ahu2ade4.jpg

That is a very interesting color(s). Can you post more pics of the car? What is the original color of the car?

Got a chat with the owner of the car, and here is some more information:
The color is named Matt Cherry Pearl
Original color on the car is black.

The wrap changes colors depending on the visual angle, from brown to purple.
This picture shows some of the color changeing, it is even better in real life. :)

S-Camelon-2.jpg

Got a chat with the owner of the car, and here is some more information:
The color is named Matt Cherry Pearl
Original color on the car is black.

The wrap changes colors depending on the visual angle, from brown to purple.
This picture shows some of the color changeing, it is even better in real life. :)

View attachment 52676

Not a fan of wraps, but yours actually look very cool.

Wraps can be a great tool if installed properly. Definitely cheaper than a paint job, way less upkeep, and like others mentioned, the paint is practically brand new when it's eventually taken off - this increasing resale value.

BTW, that Matte Cherry Pearl wrap is quite nice I must say, I'm not usually a fan or the matte colors, but there's just something about that one.

So, my fiance was thinking about buying a Model S for herself. She hates all of the available colors, though. /.../ She is sad now. :( /...
What? She doesn't like the metallic silver? :wink: [SUP]1 <--[/SUP]

From what I heard, they used to do custom colors, but realized to do a custom color they have to shut down the entire line, take the car out, paint it, then shut down the line again and put the car back in. So everything ends up delayed to do custom colors in factory. They stopped doing that. /…
This part I don't get. Just thinking logically about it:

Doesn't the body of the car eventually end up on one of these trolleys?

Model-S-body.jpg

So can't they just have the trolley in question exit the line after the body-in-white stage?

I don’t know, but having a trolley first exit the line, and after the body-in-white has been removed, then circle back to wherever these trolleys start on the line, doesn’t feel like it should be that difficult. And inserting a trolley with a custom painted car somewhere down the line also doesn’t feel like it should be that difficult.

I don’t know, but in a worst-case scenario, removing a trolley creates a ’one-trolley-gap’ down the rest of the entire production line. I guess that would double that part of the production cost for the custom-colored car. Likewise, reinserting a custom-painted car into the line might cause a ’one-trolley queue’ for everything up until this trolley on the line, causing a doubling of the production cost for that part of the production line as well. There would of course also be a cost for everything that happens to the body-in-white while it’s off the production line.

.../ Here's the reply...

Thanks so much for contacting Tesla Motors! At this time, we don’t offer custom color options beyond what you see in our design studio. The car you see in the photo was created for one of our company executives, not a customer. That being said, we’re always incorporating customer feedback into our vehicles and we will continue to roll out options that ensure we are the best car on the road. Thank you so much for your interest, and I hope we can get your fiancée her own Model S soon!

She is sad now. :( /...

Perhaps also sending an e-mail to Jerome Guillen, VP, World Wide Sales and Service might give you an definitive answer.

[SUP]1[/SUP]Full disclosure: This is not a Fifty shades of grey joke. Haven’t read the book, but I don’t think I would like anything about that fictional story…

.../ I also specifically said that cost of the change wasn't really an issue. /...
Then it seems it should be possible:

While out in California for TMC Connect, a group happened to be @ Fremont on Thursday, July 17.
And there was a very special MS that was being prepared for delivery to its lucky owner, and we later watched it drive away.
(Tesla guys kept us away from oogling the car while it was still inside the delivery center area).

And then it came back.

It was entirely dark purple, including the chin spoiler, the door sills, the rear skirt, the nose and the dash.
And IT had a black headliner installed (I do have a picture of the dash and headliner).
So there is at least one car out there, and it will be really easy to spot.

[My underline.]

What? She doesn't like the metallic silver? :wink: [SUP]1 <--[/SUP]

This part I don't get. Just thinking logically about it:

Doesn't the body of the car eventually end up on one of these trolleys?

[/ATTACH]

So can't they just have the trolley in question exit the line after the body-in-white stage?

I don’t know, but having a trolley first exit the line, and after the body-in-white has been removed, then circle back to wherever these trolleys start on the line, doesn’t feel like it should be that difficult. And inserting a trolley with a custom painted car somewhere down the line also doesn’t feel like it should be that difficult.

I don’t know, but in a worst-case scenario, removing a trolley creates a ’one-trolley-gap’ down the rest of the entire production line. I guess that would double that part of the production cost for the custom-colored car. Likewise, reinserting a custom-painted car into the line might cause a ’one-trolley queue’ for everything up until this trolley on the line, causing a doubling of the production cost for that part of the production line as well. There would of course also be a cost for everything that happens to the body-in-white while it’s off the production line.

Perhaps also sending an e-mail to Jerome Guillen, VP, World Wide Sales and Service might give you an definitive answer.

[SUP]1[/SUP]Full disclosure: This is not a Fifty shades of grey joke. Haven’t read the book, but I don’t think I would like anything about that fictional story…

That pic is after the body in white stage, that's actual white :)

Regardless, of course it's possible, but even at the BIW stage, there's certain features that have already been decided...sunroof, RHD or LHD, etc. None of them are earth-shattering, and you'd think it would be possible to run a sequence of cars that are all destined for custom colors (this is how Merc does it, at least when I visited the factory a few years ago), but I imagine they're pushing so hard to churn out volume, and deviation from standard could upset the process. Plus, they don't need to offer this, they're still supply constrained.