Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mike Donoughe resigns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That second statement can be read two ways. I assume he meant it positively.

“I wouldn’t be a shareholder unless I thought there were significant upsides associated with Tesla,”

That doesn't sound very good to me. I don't know how anyone could read that statement based on the intention of it meaning anything but positive.

“I wouldn’t be a shareholder unless I thought there were significant upsides associated with Tesla,”

That doesn't sound very good to me. I don't know how anyone could read that statement based on the intention of it meaning anything but positive.

It is very easy to read positively if he is a shareholder, which I think is the case.

Ok, now I'm not sure what you mean. Your first sentence says it sounds negative, but you're second sentence says it's definitely positive.

"I wouldn’t be a shareholder unless I thought there were significant upsides..." sounds neutral to negative if it's taken as a hypothetical.

If on the other hand you assume, as rolo says, he is a shareholder (which is very likely), then he also thinks there are "significant upsides associated with Tesla."

Last edited:
Huge News

This is huge news....think about who Mike is for a second......

Mike Donoughe was the Executive Vice President of Vehicle Engineering (basically the #2 guy in the company). He was also, the only guy with 24 years in the auto industry working on an executive level. Yes it was Chrysler (laugh if you want) but he understood the all the ins and outs vehicle design, engineering, manufacturing, launch readiness, service and warranty. He knows it all from vehicle cradle to grave as they say they say in the industry.

This was the guy that Elon hired to make the Model S a reality. Who else at Tesla comes close to Mike's honest credentials??

Spin it however you may, this makes me question whether or not the Model S is for real.....

Ok, now I'm not sure what you mean. Your first sentence says it sounds negative, but you're second sentence says it's definitely positive.

"I wouldn’t be a shareholder unless I thought there were significant upsides..." sounds neutral to neutral to negative if it's taken as a hypothetical.

If on the other hand you assume, as rolo says, he is a shareholder (which is very likely), then he also thinks there are "significant upsides associated with Tesla."

Going through the statement again and the comments that followed started to confuse myself as well. When I first read the quote from the article it sounded as if part of Mike 's resignation had to do with his belief that Tesla and it's overall direction and business model wouldn't work because he didn't see any associated upsides; be it a disagreement on technologies / applications, etc...

Adding Rolo's comment along with yours made me realize on a second reading that Mike is likely a shareholder. Obviously I now stand corrected.

Hey - it's the bad news troll.

Another bump in the road, another visit from thejump.

Sure, this isn't helpful, but let's not 'jump' to the worst conclusion straight away, shall we?

I definately agree with you. After all Tesla recieved 465 $ dollars to speed up the establishment of Model S and there is nothing which says that's impossible - even without the Tesla-engineer. There are plenty of people willing to take his former position. :redface:

There seems to be more information here:
Tesla Motors loses manufacturing, engineering chief | detnews.com | The Detroit News
"he's joining St. Clair Consortium, which focuses on product development. He will become a senior partner at the Grosse Pointe Park firm effective Oct. 1."
St Clair Consortium is a Product Development Leadership consultancy which looks just up Mike's street.
He was probably offered better remuneration - benefits.

Tesla Loses Manufacturing, Engineering Chief | The Truth About Cars

donoughe.jpg

Just thoughts, no inside information....

But, if you were concerned about a company's long term viability...don't you think you'd consider a job at a more established place? And if you had a job at a company that you felt confident was going to become huge don't you think you'd wanna stay and be part of it?

Again, I have no idea if those thoughts factored into the decision here, but it bears watching. It's also entirely possible he just didn't get along with Elon or had creative differences and they may not want to make that public.

I think it will be interesting to see who they choose to move into that position. In any case I sure hope this isn't foreshadowing of anything negative.