Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone purchase these "Axis MS" 21" turbine clones from TireRack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed this 21" turbine clone on TireRack labeled the "Axis MS":

axispt_ms_gm_ci3_l.jpg

These are significantly less expensive than the Tesla turbines, coming in at $1375 for a set of 4. Everyone seemed to have a pretty positive experience with the 19" Rial Lugano wheels from TireRack, so I was wondering if anyone has tried these out yet and has some feedback.

I just noticed this 21" turbine clone on TireRack labeled the "Axis MS":
These are significantly less expensive than the Tesla turbines, coming in at $1375 for a set of 4.

a few things - a 21" tire is a 21" tire. while the replacement cost would be significantly cheaper than the OEM wheels, you'll still be susceptible to the same advanced inner tire wear and blowouts on potholes, curb rashes, etc. using these instead of the Tesla 21s will not change the frequentcy of these events, but instead just reduce the cost of repair. food for thought.

Everyone seemed to have a pretty positive experience with the 19" Rial Lugano wheels from TireRack, so I was wondering if anyone has tried these out yet and has some feedback.

"everyone" -> not exactly true. there have been a bunch of occurances that seem to imply that the Rials cannot support the weight on the Model S. Well I'm implying that. What's actually happened if you scan the threads are that there were a bunch of owners whose Rial's bent hitting potholes. This implies that the structural composition of the wheel isn't sufficient enough to handle the heavy weight of the MS. Personally, I would steer clear of the Rials. I'm sure there are Rial owners who haven't had a problem either. Its risky knowing that theres already been problems though so IMO I would not buy these given their track record already.

All that being said, did you consider these?: Tesla Wheels For Sale | T Sportline Model TST Wheel 19x85 These are what I have and many owners are now buying instead of Rials or other similar turbine style wheels. They are an almost exactly replica of the OEM turbines, just 19" instead (Tesla really missed out not having these manufactured themselves!!) I do not know of a single issue anyone has had yet. In addition, these wheels have been independently tested and verified (theres a report floating around here somewhere). They are not 21s but instead 19s. But IMO thats a 'pro', not a 'con'. There are many advantages of 19s over 21s. I dont know of any advantage of 21s over 19s other than looks. The other very important thing to note about these wheels are they that were intentionally manufactured to OEM specs, so not centering ring is required to mount. This is VERY good. Any aftermarket wheel you get would need a centering ring and that alone could cause various issues (unless you're paying $$$$$ for top dollar custom wheels to get manufactured to OEM spec too but like I said these TSTs are already independently tested and verified). The only diff is that these TSTs are 8.5" wide and 35 offset. So you can fit 255s nicely on them and they fill out the wheel well much nicer. Threes a ton of real world mounted pics on the other Tsportline TST threads floating around. He's getting a full batch next month so contact Tsportline if you want the wheels now (they are selling out fast).

"everyone" -> not exactly true. there have been a bunch of occurances that seem to imply that the Rials cannot support the weight on the Model S. Well I'm implying that.

I think that was refuted by a number of people who had claimed to have bent their stock Tesla 19" rims as well. Even Tire Rack said that they had seem no abnormal number of bent rims or rim failure with the Luganos IIRC.

• Helpful
Reactions: High Voltage
I think that was refuted by a number of people who had claimed to have bent their stock Tesla 19" rims as well. Even Tire Rack said that they had seem no abnormal number of bent rims or rim failure with the Luganos IIRC.

+1. Anecdotal stories on this web site are hardly evidence that one rim or another is more prone to being bent. In my own case I have three sets of rims: Tesla 21s, AV M580 20s, and Rial Lugano 19s. The only ones that haven't been bent are the Rials. Is that proof that they are less susceptible to being bent? I think not. It's proof that I haven't yet hit any serious potholes with them.

The larger the wheel diameter gets the more prone they are to bending. That's a simple fact.

One more try to see if anyone has gotten a set

I'd like to know as well. My plan is to order my P85D's with the stock 19s, install the Axis MS21s with Michelin Pilot Super Sports as my "summer performance tires" and then use the stock 19s as my winter wheel and tire set up.

Much cheaper than spending $4500 for the factory 21s and then having to go out and buy a complete set of winter wheels and tires.

I'd like to know as well. My plan is to order my P85D's with the stock 19s, install the Axis MS21s with Michelin Pilot Super Sports as my "summer performance tires" and then use the stock 19s as my winter wheel and tire set up.

Much cheaper than spending $4500 for the factory 21s and then having to go out and buy a complete set of winter wheels and tires.

Hello, I am the owner of Axis wheels, my daily driver is a Model S 85' I do have a set of MS on my car in 21 inch diameter, what questions can I answer for you. Although I do own the coompany and perhaps my view is bias, i will try to be as impartial as possible.

Hello, I am the owner of Axis wheels, my daily driver is a Model S 85' I do have a set of MS on my car in 21 inch diameter, what questions can I answer for you. Although I do own the coompany and perhaps my view is bias, i will try to be as impartial as possible.

Do you have any additional photos (other than the Axis website) of a Red MS with the Titanium Graphites (I'd like to see how dark the wheels are) and any photos of the Model S Black Machine Face on a MS? Thanks in advance.