Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stunning visuals in experimental short to be used by Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

djp

Model 3 Performance
Aug 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/great-ads_blogspot_1#3169

Supply & Demand director David Holm has created Tesla Motor’s first experimental film promoting the company’s fully electric luxury sedan.

Pacing, sound design and visuals blend together effortlessly in “Tesla: Origins” as we open on an epic journey through space and time. Abstract and beautiful, the compelling film unveils Tesla’s birth from the ether of the universe, arriving on earth to harness the energy of the cosmos and bring electricity to our barren world...

Last edited:
It's very beautiful and well produced, - - - but
If I knew nothing about Tesla and the Model S I would still know nothing after seeing this other than they make a nice car that can do doughnuts in the dirt
So I don't see this being used in any way to sell more Model S or even increase the awareness of Tesla and it's mission.

Tesa Origins video by David Holm:
[video=vimeo;98160242]http://vimeo.com/98160242[/video]
David Holm's portfolio: Supply Demand

I don't like it. It is too cliche and cold. If I had to score it I would give it 05/100. It couldn't be worse. There is no story, no style, not excitement, no humor. It doesn't even properly show the car. It doesn't say anything at all about Tesla. It looks like the guy who made it has no idea or passion for Tesla. I don't know how a person can be so clueless. There are so many things to say about Tesla and this artistically challenged moron comes up with BS like that. It is useless rubbish not worth talking about. The execution is great but the idea is total BS. It looks like they have spent 2 weeks making the video and 2 minutes coming up with an idea. I hope Tesla didn't pay for that video. If they did, they should ask for their money back.

There are already two great fan made Tesla adverts that are far better. Both are friendly and fun. I would score Modern Spaceship 90/100 and Nozzie 93/100.

Nozzie

Modern Spaceship

Edit:
Some scenes remind me of land speed records in desert. High top speed is not something Tesla is claiming. It gives the wrong message and targets the wrong audience. When I watch the video to me it says animalistic, wild, super fast, untameable, none of which are suitable terms to describe a Model S. It's like this guy hasn't got the slightest clue. After watching it a few times I have to change my score to -5/100. This ad is worse than having none.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, not really a great messaging video for Tesla, and doesn't seem to be made by them, but gosh, it sure looks like it would be fun to be in the car driving circles in the desert!

:)

Last edited:
I agree with others who find the Origins video less than brilliant. I would hope that Tesla as a brand doesn't embrace the rage/violent/animal/menace/macho/competitive aspect of cars, the way BMW, Porsche, and other brands have done over the years. The end of ICE doesn't need to be a "war on ICE".

I like it, but to me it screams 'Top Gear' during one of their artsy fartsy segment intros (that they tend to do very well). Too abstract for a 'commercial' though.

Funny, that's the first thing that came to my mind as well. Absolutely Top Gear style. Not that Tesla should use that approach imho though.

Interesting thing is, here at work, I haven't got sound, so I had to watch the clips as silent movies. And as such, the "Origins" video, though stunning visually, didn't touch me emotionally very much, nor would it have told me anything about Model S apart from the fact that it must be quite a fast car. But without sound one didn't even get the info that it is an EV!

The two fan made videos are interesting in other ways. The "Nozzie" commercial as a silent film didn't tell me much or touch either, but it reminded me of the Pixar opening animation of Luxo Jr. :wink:

The "Modern Spaceship" clip otoh is great. Even without sound (perhaps even more so that way) it felt sweet, emotionally touching, and very funny.
I think if Tesla thinks of actually advertising on TV, that clip should be the one (or one of the ones) that they use.
I am certain, if they showed that clip over here on German TV prime time, it would work absouletly great. It is even remininscent of some VW commercials like this one:

The Force: Volkswagen Commercial - YouTube

:smile: