Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AWD Model S make current P85 and P85+ seem slow by comparison?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With very solid rumors pointing to a 2 motor, AWD Model S around the corner as soon as the 4th quarter will Tesla also make the car much faster?

Lots of super fast cars use the traction from four tires to substantially cut their 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. With those cars they are sharing a single engine's HP across those 4 tires. With a two motor AWD Tesla could almost double the HP from the car.

Will your P85 or P85+ look like child's play with that added power?

With very solid rumors pointing to a 2 motor, AWD Model S around the corner as soon as the 4th quarter will Tesla also make the car much faster?

Lots of super fast cars use the traction from four tires to substantially cut their 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. With those cars they are sharing a single engine's HP across those 4 tires. With a two motor AWD Tesla could almost double the HP from the car.

Will your P85 or P85+ look like child's play with that added power?

The problem is still batteries. You wont get dbl the power, as the batteries wont be able to supply enough juice for this.
The current P85 has 420 hp or so. The motors it self is able to crank up to 470 hp. Why havent they done so already? Due to the batteries..

So for a AWD Model S to give any more than the 420hp the P85 has today, it will have to come with a bigger battery.

However, the car might be slightly faster with AWD and double the traction, it wont though have more than todays 420hp or there about.

AWD an option like Pano - wonder what 110+ would run

The interesting thing about 110+ would that would push the weight of the vehicle up, but could be compensated for via the AWD.

There's pretty good rumors circling that the AWD option will cost about the same as the Panoramic Roof or maybe the tech package option. If 110 is true, that might be pretty interesting. I wonder if Tesla would change up the lineup in that case with 85Kw being the low end, then the 110 and P110, or if they would continue to offer the 60 and P85.

Actually the information that Tesla is planning an AWD Model S P11O ++ has also been given on TMC some weeks ago. That's why I thought that the article on Facebook was true.

Okay then, if someone posted it on TMC then it absolutely must be true.

Rumors, once started, have a life of their own. And on the internet, rumors with circular references are particularly insidious: website X says Y and then website Z says Y because it was on website X and suddenly Y is "true" because it is on more than one website.

A few months back I was talking to one of the Tesla store Managers about the a possible AWD MS and AWD MX, and he had heard rumors that they would be using two smaller motors, and not the current motor. He suggested that a larger battery might not be needed because these smaller motors were more efficient energy wise. Again, this is all rumor and/or speculation.

Maybe that Tesla store manager had been spending a lot of time on Facebook and TMC...

I'm not saying that anything postulated in this thread is impossible, some of it seems quite possible. I'm saying that one should be careful about leaping to conclusions based on unsubstantiated information from "sources" other than official Tesla statements or Elon going on the record in an interview or blog post.

I'm fairly certain that Tesla has officially stated that there will in the future be an AWD model S, though no timeline was given.
As for a larger battery pack, the most I've seen from Tesla are some vague mentions that someday in the future there might be, but never anything more concrete than that. All rumours of a 110kWh pack or whatnot are pure speculation. I do believe it will eventually happen, but it will definitely not be before gigafactory, and due to weight reasons (as mentioned by another poster) I don't expect to see it until Tesla ends up with a higher density cell.

This whole thread is vaporware. We've been over this a hundred times already. While it is quite obvoius there will be developments when it comes to battery capacity in the future as well as a high likelyhood of an AWD S there has been no type of confirmation what so ever from Tesla on either.

This whole thread is vaporware. We've been over this a hundred times already. While it is quite obvoius there will be developments when it comes to battery capacity in the future as well as a high likelyhood of an AWD S there has been no type of confirmation what so ever from Tesla on either.

Agree, but it's nice to exchange views on this very interesting matter.