Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 40,000 Mile Battery Report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
40000Miles.jpg

My normal 90% Battery is 226-227. My last range charge (38,000 miles approx.) was 253. I have a theory on the battery that I have used since day one. I charge at the lowest possible charge rate to get to 90% before I leave for the day. I always charge to 90% unless I need a range charge. I have ranged charged about 8-9 times. I always set to 90% otherwise.

So, if I am leaving at 7 a.m., I will set my charge rate to be charged by that time (a little earlier). So, the key for me is to slowly charge the car as much as possible. I think that it puts less strain on the battery. That being said, I have no training as a scientist or engineer. It's just what I have done.

Well, whatever works for you, but I am not aware of evidence that says that charging Lion batteries as slowly as possible will extend battery life IF at the rate one typically charges the battery does not get excessively hot, and given Teslas thermal management system I think that would be very unlikely since it automatically decreases the charging rate if overheating is detected.

I am doing the same with some additional rules:
1. In summer I charge only to 80%
2. If it is very hot (> 75F) I stay at 70%
3. I do not charge every day, only if I have to to reach my destination.
4. I do not drive to less than 20% range to keep the current low.

I learned from a video of Prof. Dahn that you should loose a significant amount of capacity in the beginning. But so far my capacity kept the same. So I am not doing completely wrong. ;-)

Should be interesting to get some more numbers as more people get up in miles. I'd be more interested in the rated miles at 90%/100% from someone who doesn't meticulously manage their charging. (ie, just plug in every night and charge to 90% at full power; range charge as needed)

I'm actually pretty cavalier in my charging habits. At about 14k miles now. I've range charged to 99%+ over a dozen times, charge to 90% at full speed at home (was 40A/10kW, but have the second charger now, so now 80A/20kW) every night. I've also supercharged at least half of those miles. My 90% and 100% charges have been 237-238 and 264-266 miles respectively, pretty consistently since I got the car back in February. (My only real charging rule is that I don't charge past 90% unless I'll be immediately driving to below 90%).