Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slug Lines - Northern Virginia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone here picked up sluggers on I-95 in NoVa? It's been a great way to spread the word about Tesla and EV technology. So far I've given rides to over fifty people; most were impressed, and several folks are actively considering buying an MS.

I live in NoVA and have no idea what that is.

[googles....]

Ah, ad-hoc car-pooling.... didn't even know that was a thing.

One of my friends who lives in the area does this every work day to get HOV access. Interesting idea. He currently drives a Prius but hopefully someday will get an EV. Great idea to show people what the car is like.

One of my friends who lives in the area does this every work day to get HOV access. Interesting idea. He currently drives a Prius but hopefully someday will get an EV. Great idea to show people what the car is like.

I don't live down I-95 (thank goodness, I don't think i could take it), but I know people who have done it and found it very useful. If I recall, there are certain known pick-up/drop-off spots and preferred pick-up times. I'm sure my schedule wouldn't work, but if it's working for you that's great. Glad to see the car continues to impress.

Has anyone here picked up sluggers on I-95 in NoVa? It's been a great way to spread the word about Tesla and EV technology. So far I've given rides to over fifty people; most were impressed, and several folks are actively considering buying an MS.

Do it everyday of the work week, will not do it any other way. Not only it gives me access to HOV but also an opportunity to make new friends, spread awareness in general about EVs and in particular about TESLA. I never initiate the discussion but once anyone of the fellow riders makes a curious comment or as much asks a question, that starts a wonderful conversation to an otherwise Very QUIET ride.

WOW, and what a great idea you have here! Your strategy is just plain awesome! I think this is potentially huge since Va (one of my states) is unfortunately a hater and an 80-90% EV wasteland.

Thanks!

You should make it a requirement of the people you pick up that you stop by the Tesla store on the way home:)

Funny :biggrin: I have stopped by the Tesla store in Tysons so many times it's just plain ridiculous. Moreover, the Tysons store can't even offer test drives -- I had to coordinate with the DC store to get that done.

Unfortunately, the Tesla store is not on the "slug route", but it would make a great detour!

The one in Montgomery Mall can also give test drives, and is a fair bit more convenient than going into downtown (if you don't already need to.). Worst case it provides an alternate for when your slugs have already booked-up everything on K Street.

Ha! I didn't see this thread until now. I suppose one of you guys are one of the other Teslas I have spotted as I drive down to Dumfries exit myself :)

I generally have a fixed carpool at work since where I work doesn't have slug lines due to the issues with the location (thanks City of Alexandria! You also ruined the HOT/HOV expansion from going farther north than Edsel Rd... grrrrrr) But there have times when I have needed to pick up an extra body or two and have made use of the lines themselves. Have also ridden once.

I get mixed results in picking people up, mostly because people try to stick to the etiquette of not talking unless spoken to by the driver, but some people just can't resist so I make sure to answer any and all questions when I get the chance!

For anyone else who is passing through the area. If you ever catch yourself in downtown DC and need to get south in a hurry, stop by the Pentagon since you can find the labeled slug lines there and usually someone to take you to your destination. If you are going to the end of the HOV line (Dumfries) you want the 234 slug line (that's the road that the lot is on). Anyway, just throwing it out there!

Yeah, I think I remember tailing a red one getting off at horner one day. That or it was just coincidence. Don't recall the license plate. I did try flashing my lights and such but whoever it was didn't seem to notice.

In fairness it is very easy to just space out on the drive so I don't worry too much about it :D

Just know if you see a Blue MS heading south anywhere from 4-6PM it's probably me :D