Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installation of NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a September delivery on my MS85. I would like to keep the car on the opposite side of the garage from my circuit box. Is there any disadvantage of running the wiring for the NEMA 14-50 to the opposite side of the garage?

Has anyone in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area used CastleGate Electric (recommended by the Service Center) to install? Comments?

Thanks.

I have a September delivery on my MS85. I would like to keep the car on the opposite side of the garage from my circuit box. Is there any disadvantage of running the wiring for the NEMA 14-50 to the opposite side of the garage?

Has anyone in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area used CastleGate Electric (recommended by the Service Center) to install? Comments?

Thanks.
The main disadvantage is, of course, cost. You have to purchase more wire and it takes a bit longer to install because of the routing issues. Other than that I can see no disadvantages.

Still shouldn't cost all that much. I strongly recommend getting a couple quotes. I had about a 50 ft. run from my panel to where I wanted the outlet and it cost $410. One electrician recommended by a Tesla owner quoted me $1100. BIG difference. Odd too that the reasonable quote was given over the phone, the other wasted a bunch of time coming to the house to come up with a quote when it was quite a simple undertaking...

Thanks.

That's exactly what I did/have. No disadvantages but some added expense due to distance and difficult routing.

I have 120ft from my circuit breaker to my NEMA 14-50 using 6/3 cable. I get 40amp at 240-246V consistently. No problems with this long run.

It's not the absolute voltage but the relative voltage drop that you want to consider. The drop across CU #6 is about 3V per 100 ft of cord/conduit length (200 ft of circuit length) @ 40A.

40A x .000395 ohms/ft x 2 (round-trip) x cable-ft = voltage drop across #6 CU

To qualify for our electric utility's lowest rate ($0.06/kwh), I installed a time-of-use meter for a separate EV-charging circuit. My main panel is on the exterior wall next to where I park my car, so the cable run to the interior wall is negligible (a few feet). To future-proof our garage for another EV in a few years, I had the electrician install a sub-panel on the wall inside from the main panel, a 14-50 there (this is the one I use for my my MS) and a conduit run (about 50') to a second 14-50 for a future EV. The bid breaks out the extra cost for the second 14-50 and conduit run - $100.

For lack of a better thread, and not starting a new one, my g/f just got me the best birthday present ever.

This is a 14-50 of course with about a 40 foot run from the panel using 6 guage wire. Took the electricians about 4 hours to run the cable in the ceiling of the basement and garage due to headers and foundation in the way, but they finally got it through. They had originally quoted $375 for the job, but due to the extra time, I'm guessing it will be more like $600.

I had been previously charging at 110V at her house (using the outlet right below :frown:), so when she asked what I wanted for my birthday:

:biggrin:

Attachments

• photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 230