Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician in Tampa Bay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to pick up my Model S at the end of August. Who has installed the connectors for you? Would you recommend that installer? How much was it? I have a typical garage with circuit breaker box on the same wall where the connector will go.
The car will have dual chargers, but I plan on initially installing just the NEMA 14-50 Mobile Connector. I would like the installation to have the wiring necessary to upgrade to the Wall Connecter if I decide to get that later on. Has anyone does this?
The Tampa Tesla Rep recommended JN Electric, who quoted $1300 for the install.
Thanks,
Devesh

I am scheduled to pick up my Model S at the end of August. Who has installed the connectors for you? Would you recommend that installer? How much was it? I have a typical garage with circuit breaker box on the same wall where the connector will go.
The car will have dual chargers, but I plan on initially installing just the NEMA 14-50 Mobile Connector. I would like the installation to have the wiring necessary to upgrade to the Wall Connecter if I decide to get that later on. Has anyone does this?
Thanks,
Devesh
I paid nearly $500 for my 14-50 install. I feel like that was a bit high but $1300!?

I used an electrician from a Tesla forum and feel I made a big mistake. Very high price. I think the ones you might end up with from forum posts have special "Tesla" prices. Better off going to the phone book after doing your homework and knowing exactly what you need done. Just my two cents.

I used Starr Electric (727-492-6248) from Clearwater. I believe it was around $1100, but they had to run a line from my main breaker to my separate garage building panel, (around 30 feet or so) and upgrade the service to the garage to 100 amps.

i have had them do several jobs around my home, and they always have done a great job.

Thanks,
Devesh

If you look in your breaker box, do you have any slots that are not already taken? If you have an extra slot it will be easier and less expensive, if there are no extra slots you will probably need a small sub panel, but they aren't that much.

I had extra spaces in the breaker box and installed a 14-50 and the HPWC for about $650 including parts (not including the HPWC part). Both are on separate breakers 50 and 100 amps each. IM me if you want the electricians phone number, he's from Sarasota, and will only do work in Sarasota and Manatee county.

wallcharger.jpg

Last edited:
I met with one today in Land O Lakes who gave me a very good "off the cuff" quote for a service upgrade from 200 to 320 amps and HPWC install. He's planning to do the job next week so I don't have a recommendation yet, but if he holds to this price and does good work he'll be a winner.

I met with one today in Land O Lakes who gave me a very good "off the cuff" quote for a service upgrade from 200 to 320 amps and HPWC install. He's planning to do the job next week so I don't have a recommendation yet, but if he holds to this price and does good work he'll be a winner.

Your electrician can do the work but a service upgrade can only be approved/completed by your utility company (FPL?). Here's the FPL procedure:

6. How do I upgrade or relocate my existing service?* Contact a licensed electrician, who will obtain an electrical permit for wiring changes to your equipment.
* Your electrician should contact FPL to set up an order for changing your existing service.
* Once your electrician completes wiring changes, he/she will contact the electrical inspection department of your local jurisdiction for an inspection.
* After the inspection is approved, FPL will receive notification that your wiring meets code and will complete your wiring connection at the meter.

I had a NEMA 14-50 Mobile Connector installed just below my breaker box, $300 by Small Jobs Electric, 813-968-5856. They quoted me $1600 for the Mobile Connecter, with no savings if I wanted both connecters.
NEMA Connecter.jpg

I had a NEMA 14-50 Mobile Connector installed just below my breaker box, $300 by Small Jobs Electric, 813-968-5856. They quoted me $1600 for the Mobile Connecter, with no savings if I wanted both connecters

That receptacle looks like it has been installed at 90°? If so you need to have it corrected so that the ground (round pin) is at the top. If the plug is oriented sideways all the weight of the cable and the mobile charger is pulling sideways on the plug and you have a real risk of damaging the UMC and your electrical set-up. That's right below your main box and and bad place to have an electrical failure.